Power out last night - bators to 70 and chicks almost died!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KellyHM, Oct 29, 2008.

1. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Well, I woke up at 5:30 this morning and my power was out. My clock was stopped at 3:30, so I guess it had been out around 2 hours. Of course it did this on the only below freezing night so far this year! [​IMG]

I have 2 bators of eggs going - one is due tomorrow (probably not any more). They were both down to 70 by the time the power kicked back on at 7:30. [​IMG]

I also have 2-day-old baby quail. By the time I woke up at 5:30 they were laying flat out on their sides and looking very dead. However, when I touched one it squirmed, so I grabbed a couple of Hot Hands out of my husband's hunting stuff and "sandwiched" them between them. Then I ran out to the living room and started a fire. I brought their brooder (it's small) out there and placed it right in front of the fire. The temp in there got up to 93 and they ALL started moving around again. [​IMG] Thank goodness I woke up when I did...

2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:The colder temps are totally unexpected for Fl this time of year. Glad they are better. I would get the bators going as soon as you can and I bet they will be ok, remember, the egg temp will not drop as quickly, your hatch may be delayed.

I am so buying the generator from my boss now, it is already unseasonably cold here and we are due for a tough winter.

3. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    hope all works out well for ya! Sorry you had to have this happen.

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a generator. It never fails every winter we loose power on the coldest day. The heat in not so much of an issue we just put more clothes on.[​IMG] I have 2 large saltwater tanks and now baby chicks that need to stay warm.

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I know how you feel. Happened to us yesterday. 2 1/2 hours of no power. My bator was at 73F I thought they where surely dead. No pips yet on my left over quail eggs but I know there is more. Dont loose hope

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  6. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I do have a generator, but I don't know how to use it and hubby's out of town. I guess I need to learn. [​IMG]

ETA: But we usually only lose power during hurricanes and such, so I thought I was safe.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  7. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Sorry, I loved this! More or less people can deal...the animals are important! [​IMG]

Kelly, is your power back on?

8. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Yes, it came back on at about 7:30am. The chicks are doing fine now, but the bators aren't back up to temp yet. I'm working on them though.

9. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    We lost power here about a week ago and with 20 duck eggs in the bator I was freaking out. The temp in the bator was down to 80 so I quickly ran outside and hooked up the generator and got it running. It took half the day to get the eggs back to the right temp. But this morning they are all hatching. I'm puzzled though they weren't due for another 2 days. Then with the power going out I thought that surely they would even be a little later. I can't believe we didn't lose one egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by