Power Out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tia, Jul 15, 2011.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Two days from lock down with four turkey eggs, power out overnight .... is there any chance they are alright. I plugged them back in and thought I would candle them tonight. They were all moving yesterday. The power plug got pulled out where it connects to the incubator.. don't know what happened I candled them around 10 and they were fine. : ( I'm so sad. The eggs were cold this morning. : (

2. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I just candled one and saw a little movement... say a turkey prayer for these little gobblers.

3. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

If this helps....

I just went through the same thing; the power went out the evening of hatching day (three had already hatched). The next morning I had another hatchling. When I was able to get the incubator to a power source, it read 81 degrees. Still, both remaining eggs hatched and that's after hauling the incubator from my house to one of our empty rental houses which had power.

Gail

4. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Thanks... that gives me some hope.

5. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    They are going to be alright especially now that they are before lockdown because they are fully grown and have their own heat in there.

Other people had viable embryos 4-5 days old after their incubators were off for 24 hours.

Good luck [​IMG]

6. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Yes!!! I have movement in all four eggs tonight when I candled....

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I think the closer you are to lockdown, the less problem it is to have a power outage. Like Alexander says, they're nearly fully developed already.

Good luck! I'd love to hatch out turkeys.

8. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    This will be my first time.

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well, I've got duck eggs in my bator just now and the extra week's wait is just about killing me.

Don't think I'd be able to cope with anything longer! Turkeys are 28 days too, right?

10. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    Yep turkeys need 4 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by