Power outage! Ahhh!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peepswiththepoof, Jul 19, 2010.

1. peepswiththepoof

peepswiththepoof Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    So, terrible storms yesterday evening/last night and we lost power for around 12 hours. It was Day 1 going into Day 2 for 32 beautiful Silkie eggs, and the temp dropped down to 75.4 in the wiggler. Is my incubation going to be a total loss or is there a chance that the eggs will be okay? Please, let me know!

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Ours went out also - 4 minutes short of 12 hours. I covered the bator up last night with a blanket and this morning I have chicks hatching. With yours being so early in the incubation process, I'm not sure how the hatch will go, but don't give up! Do you have an egg candler? Check on them in about 4-5 days to see how they are doing.

[​IMG]

3. peepswiththepoof

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    Yes, I have a candler, and I will definitely be checking them in 4-5 days!

I'm glad to hear your chicks are hatching!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    The odds of them being ok this early on are probably not that good- the good news is that eggs take longer than the air to cool down, so they might not've cooled as much as you think.

That being said, I picked up a group of polish eggs from a friend to hatch.... she neglected to tell me she'd been storing them in her 100 degree barn where they'd started incubation and had been going for 2-3 days- I let them settle from driving for a few hours (about 6) in my 78 degree room.... every last one died.

5. peepswiththepoof

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    Yikes! Not what I was hoping to hear, but what I figured... I'm sorry to hear about your polish eggs! [​IMG]

6. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks... I am hoping we hear better from your eggs so I can tell people that story instead! [​IMG]

7. Slater1995

Slater1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:THey say it takes 72hours at a constant temp for the chicks to start developing, so you might be ok. I have been able to see some light veins at 48 hours but usually mine are closer to 60 hours before I can see veins and I can usually see a small baby chick by day 4. So I think you have hope. If it happens again, make sure you cover you bator with a blanket or something to try and keep them warm. It it is hot outside you may even try taking them outside until the power comes back on.

Hoping for the best.

[​IMG]

Teresa

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by