power outage during hatch.... ugh

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marathonmultiplesmom, Jun 18, 2010.

1. marathonmultiplesmom

marathonmultiplesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Chehalis, WA
    we had two power outages thanks to my brother in law, who is not an electrician, messing around with stuff. The power was off for a min then off for another min a few minutes later. I was at the store while this happened and when I came back one incubator's temp was too low and the other was too high and 2 pipped chicks were dead.

Could that short of a time period be fatal for the rest of the eggs? Only 6 hatched so far and I still have 30 I am waiting on. Its day 21. Unfortunately I had to open one of the incubators briefly. I'm just so mad about it but BIL is mentally handicapped and of course wasn't trying to mess up my hatch but I spent $100 ordering these eggs so I could breed them next year and I just don't want that to be a waste. Plus the money for the incubators. I've put hundreds into it.

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Oh, goodness. Have any of the others pipped at all? With it being day 21, I'm kind of concerned, but I want to think that the outage isn't to blame this late in the game. When you say too low, too high are you just talking a couple of degrees? Hang in there and listen for peeps!!!

3. marathonmultiplesmom

marathonmultiplesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Chehalis, WA
    Just a couple of degrees. The fan incubator was a couple too low and the still was maybe 1 too high. Not too bad. When I candled them on day 18 all were veiny and healthy but the ones in the still air machine were a little smaller and none of those have pipped. I think they will be a late batch anyway. The one with the fan 6 hatched overnight and I went out for less than an hour, come back to find out what happened and 2 that were pipped were still and non- responsive whereas before they were moving and chirped when I whistled at them. I'm just hoping that the rest of the eggs are ok. I'm wondering if I could candle a few this late in the ball game or if that would do more harm than good?

4. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Well that is good. If you can sneak one out to candle that would probably be OK. I have a habit of just having to candle when it's getting late and nothing's happening... I bet the two that pipped and died had issues not related to this. If you had good veins and movement on day 18, you should be fine then. I feel so bad for you - spend the money for eggs and then not having a good hatch. But there is still time - like you said, I think they are just late. Give me an update this weekend, OK... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by