Power outage during lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by toripaige585, Sep 16, 2016.

1. toripaige585

toripaige585 Just Hatched

Jul 24, 2016
    Oregon
    Yesterday was day 21 in lockdown for a few of our eggs, and day 19 for others. We've succesfully hatched eggs with staggered incubation periods before, and because all of these were going into lockdown within the same week, I have not been worried about anything. I checked the temp and humudity yesterday evening and added some water to keep things consistent for the night. Some of the eggs had external pips so I was excited about waking up this morning, with hopes of having some babies running around.
    When I woke up today I saw the alarm clock flashing a random time. That's when I realized the power had gone out shortly after going to bed. I immediately went to check the incubator, just to realize the heating element had not turned back on when the power was restored. Everything in the incubator was ice cold. I candled all of the eggs, with no signs of movement to be seen. At first I had decided that, although sad, there was nothing I could do at this point. The temperature in the house dropped to mid 60s, so I didnt think there would be any hope. But after reaching out to a friend more experienced in hatching she recommended I put the eggs under my recently (within 3 days) broody hen. They eggs from the incubator have now been added to her nest.
    My question: Has anyone been in a similar situation, and what kind of outcome did you end up with? What did you do, if anything, to try to "revive" your eggs?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I haven't had an electrical outtage, but...last October my Spitzhauben was sitting on a couple eggs in the coop. It was cool here, mid month when she was due. She hadn't let me move her out of the open "nest" she had in the corner of the coop. By day 19 I was worried and I had candled to find that both were internally pipped. That night I moved her to a large dog carrier (in the coop) that I had set up and closed her in so that the other hens couldn't mess with her or chase her off the eggs. I got up early the next morning to check on her and she was pacing at the door of the enclosure. I quickly checked the eggs and they were cold. I candled and couldn't see any movement at all. She went runnng back to the corner so I put the eggs back under her and contained my anger for a couple hours. I was sure they were goners. After a couple hours, when they'd had a chance to warm up, I candled them and I saw movement! Both of them hatched just fine. I don't know how long they had been cold or what the temps were, but I was surprised they hatched.

I've also seen a handful of stories of people that took eggs out at day 22/23 that didn't hatch only to hear peeping from the porch/place of disposal a day or so later from chicks determined to hatch regardless of the loss of heat.

I wouldn't give up hope. You may still get hatchers.

And

[​IMG]

3. toripaige585

Jul 24, 2016
    Oregon
    Thank you for the encouraging words! I'm glad everything turned out well for you. Did they hatch on time? Again, today will be 22 and 20 for these eggs, so I'm wondering what kind of delay in time this situation will cause?

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    They did hatch on time, but seeing as how they had internally pipped early day 19 I was expecting them by the end of day 20 and it was day 21 I believe when they finally hatched.

5. toripaige585

Jul 24, 2016
    Oregon
    Just got home from work and checked the eggs. One that had pipped was starting to unzip! I could also hear it peeping away! I guess there is hope after all!!!

6. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    That's great! [​IMG]Happy Hatching!

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

That's great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by