Power outage!!! Eggs at day 11

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lttdoming, Nov 24, 2013.

1. lttdoming

lttdoming Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    I am attempting a hatch with two eggs in a mini chip-bator. It's a very small table top incubator. we are on day 11. I did candle them this am and all was well- they are growing and moving quite a bit.

The power went out and the temp dropped to 85 in a matter of a few minute.

I wrapped them in paper towels placed them back in the incubator, wrapped the entire unit in a blanket and drove to a friends house who has a generator.

It was a total of 25 minute before the temp reached 95 degrees again. Within the hour it was just about at 100degrees.

The eggs were still pretty warm to the touch. Do you think they will be ok?

I still have to pick them up and bring them home in the am.

I am so nervous. I want this to work so badly and I don't have a very good incubator. They seem to be hitting all the candling milestones just fine thus far.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    With any luck they should be OK, there is research that periodic cooling actually ups hatch rates a little. When you think about it a broody will get off of her nest usually once day. The links for the Brinsea incubator pages on periodic cooling are below, they have links to the full papers in them. I've had power outages, and, dumb me, forgotten to plug incubators back in right away occasionally, and have had normal hatch rates.
    http://www.brinsea.com/cooling.html
    http://www.brinsea.com/customerservice/poweroff.html

1 person likes this.
  3. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    They'll be fine! [​IMG] I actually cool my eggs for an hour a day (well the incubator does it for me). And it takes awhile for the egg's internal temps to drop to it's surrounding air and surface temps.

Here's an article from metzer's farms about how they pulled halfway incubated duck eggs out for balut [​IMG], but I think the order was cancelled and they put them back into the incubator after 48 hours at room temp. Most still hatched!

http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/08/what-temperatures-kill-in-incubator.html

Eggs/embryos can withstand cooler temps for a longer time period than high temps. High temp spikes are much more worrisome.

Good luck with your hatch!

1 person likes this.
  4. lttdoming

lttdoming Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    I wrapped up the eggs yesterday and brought them back home.
    I candled this am on day 13 and the little guys are moving all about!

I'm so excited!

8 more days!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Great news on the eggs, it is amazing how tough they can be. Good luck with the hatch, hope you get lots of chicks.

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    we had a planned power out in our community I was on day 19 I put them in a cloth bag and cuddled them through the night and they hatched on time. good luck with your babies!

1 person likes this.
  7. DCchicken

DCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Maryland
    I use a battery backup for computers (servers) to prevent power loss to the incubator during storms. The beeping noise telling you that it is on battery backup will drive you insane but at least the eggs will stay warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by