Power outage have we lost the Maran eggs in incubator? UPDATE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PQ, Feb 24, 2009.

1. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Our power went out last night at 9:30 just came back on at 1:30pm this afternoon. I put the eggs under a hen but when the power came back and we went to pull some out from the hen they felt cooler then when we put them under her some room temp. It is the hens first time being broody and she was really not covering the eggs to well, 2 even being out from under her in the morning. We did bring her into the house, but very worried we have lost the eggs. My son is just heart broke he worked really hard to buy the eggs (we thought we where gong to have to buy them on ebay) as he loves the color. We got really lucky by finding some he could get from a member here, and he has been like a mama hen himself with these eggs from the day we got the at the post office. You all have been so great with advice in the past... They where put in te incubator on the 20th of Feb.
    Tell me what you all think so I can be completely honest with my boy. Thanks guys!

<<<UPDATE>>>
    We got one maran to hatch! It has deformed toes so we taped its feet.. Its neck is also a bit strange looking, it tends to keep its beak towards it body sometimes under its body.
    Anyone think it will get better in time??? Hatched yesterday morning hatch was set for 2 days ago. Think it was in shell for to long though it did come out wet. If it is ok and lives I hope its a pullet. My son really wanted a dark egg layer.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  2. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    This one is a hard one to call. There is a chance though I would say small but a chance none the less. I would incubate them to day ten and then check for developement. I would not just give up but as far as your son I have found honesty is always best even though it is so tough to break a heart. Just tell him what happened and that we will know the outcome in a little while. Just my opinion as I have children and grandchildren and I hatch all the time and my grandchildren while watching hatching have bawled when a chick doesnt live after hatch. Its so tough.

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby &amp; farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    PQ, hang in there. I did pm you as well...

4. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    I lost 8 beautiful black sex link last week when the power went off for 6 hours. They were just 36 hours from hatching and I wish I had opened t hem up, or taken them to bed with me or whatever..you know that thing about hind sight.
    Then one week later with eggs that I put in the bator after the death of those 8, the power went off again. This time I took the eggs and placed them on towel covered zip lock bags filled with hot water. It was a trying time. I had 4 dozen eggs in there.
    After the power came on and things calmed down I candled them. I lost 3 dozen. The ones that made it are moving around like crazy in the eggs. So it was not a total loss.
    Where we live in the country there is not much chance of having power uninterrupted for very long. Its a sad situation. I live just 3 miles from the county line and over there they do not have this problem. Ive considered running an extention cord to a friends house in the next county, but i dont guess thats very practical.
    I swear the next time Im gonna go to bed and take my eggs with me.

edited to add: not a total loss..... i took the eggs and opened them to soothe my curosity and then baked them and crushed them for the chickens. (they were only about 10 days gestation, not that bad.) the hens loved them and you know it is nature.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  5. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    I had a powerage also a few weeks ago. The cool down to 73 degrees but it wasn't as long. I candled them today for the last time, I have 11 out of 12 still looking OK. It looks like 1 isn't developing anymore. It has a little more space in it then the others but I know this weekend. Good luck.

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I would go ahead and stick with the current hatch and just see what happens.

BTW, for those folks who experience power interruptions of less than 24 hours, keeping a charged deep-cycle marine battery and power converter on hand can save much incubation agony.

Happy hatching! [​IMG]

7. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    I so hope you didn't lose your eggs!
    I have a converter that I can plug into the car cig. lighter and power my 'bator off of that.
    My very 1st hatch we had to go out of town due to an emergency and I had no one to look after my eggs so hubby bought me the coverter, I put my eggs in egg cartons in the bator and we took it with us! They were only 4 days from hatching and they hatched the day before we got home - in the car.....All lived and did awesome. They were barred rock.
    Good luck and I hope they are ok.

8. PQ

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    We will candle them friday day 7. We will repost and let everyone know. I have told my son there is still a chance. Have seen him a couple of times telling the hen we put them under, "dont worry you did goode brought" Her in to watch the incubator with him. I think it is so sweet he really is a great kid hate seeing him cry and over eggs not even a chicken yet! We will let you know hopewe can pot some pictures soon Thanks all.
    Converter is on the list for when we get back to town... Thanks for te advice.

9. PQ

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    updated first post.

10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Give it extra vitamins

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by