Power outage incubator help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HardizzlesFlock, Jan 29, 2014.

1. HardizzlesFlock

HardizzlesFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    South-East Washington
    My power was out from 3am until now when we plugged the incubator into a generator. The eggs dropped down to 65•F . Can they still survive? It is day 14

2. HardizzlesFlock

Dec 31, 2013
    South-East Washington
    Please Help!!

3. Flybybirds

Flybybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    How long did it stay at 65 do you have any idea?

4. Flybybirds

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    Don't lose hope. Did you start stabilize the temperature as soon as you found out? I would wait a day and then candle the eggs or if you don't know what you are seeing this group does and will let you know what to do. If they have died, you will know as there will be no movement and all blood veins will have broken into fragments and not cohesive as a normal fertile egg. Only then should you throw away your eggs. If you are not sure, leave the eggs in the incubator. You have little to lose keeping them in the incubator.

5. HardizzlesFlock

Dec 31, 2013
    South-East Washington
    I have Black Copper Marans. I cant see anything through them. They were at 65 for about 3 hours!:( im so worried

6. Flybybirds

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    I have Black Copper Marans too and I know it can be difficult. I use a really strong Lumen light and even sometimes I can't tell. I would hang in there. Three hours isn't long really. The egg will generate some heat on its own, or at least my parrot eggs do. I would surely keep them at temp and for the term and see. You are at day 13 and not long to go. Is your incubator holding the temp now and humidity level is correct? I think there is a thread that has candling Maran eggs. If I get some time this afternoon I will look for you.

7. Flybybirds

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    OK you can try two to four LED lights and surround the egg. I saw this on Candling Maran Eggs thread. You can look there too. I'd still just let them stay at steady temp and Humidity and wait will hatch. Remember that 21 days is not the rule for all. My Marans took 23 days to hatch.

8. HardizzlesFlock

Dec 31, 2013
    South-East Washington
    Thanks so much! Yes the temp is a steady 100 (still air) and humidity at 35

9. Flybybirds

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    Let me know when they hatch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by