POWER OUTAGE INCUBATOR

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RoosterJuice, Mar 9, 2017.

1. RoosterJuice

RoosterJuice Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    My power went out for I'm not sure how long. Temp in incubator has been steady at 100F for around 12 days, I checked it and it was down to 74. I turned it on immediately. What is going to happen? Thank you for reading

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It happens. Ultimately, there is no way to fully predict the outcome at this point. You may see a delay in hatch or there may be a change to the overall viability of the eggs set. Eggs hatched by a hen are not kept at a steady temperature at all times - hens leave the nest briefly, and sometimes they are away longer (ie if they get back on the wrong nest in a situation where she is brooding in a communal coop situation), and the eggs go through cooling and heating cycles as a result. The question mark for you is just how long the eggs were in the cooled state. I would suggest leaving things alone as much as possible for a few more days and then do one last candle before the expected lockdown day to see if things seem to have progressed normally so that you are on target with that lockdown. At that point you'll be able to see whether the eggs have remained viable or not.

3. RoosterJuice

RoosterJuice Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    Thank you that was very helpful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by