power outage - need advice UPDATE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MsBrenda, Jul 21, 2010.

1. MsBrenda

MsBrenda In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Birnamwood, Wi
    We had a 12 hour power outage last night and today I don't see any movement inside the eggs. I placed the eggs on 7/7 in the incubator (purchased from eggcartons.com)
    Last week we had a 3 hour power outage and I had been able to see movement inside the eggs up until this morning. Was 12 hours last night long enough to hurt the chicks?

UPDATE:
    7/30 This morning, one of the eggs is just starting to zip. I see a little hole and its cracked! I'm soooooo excited! Waiting, and waiting, pacing and waiting....

Brenda

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010

2. orionburn

orionburn Songster

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Hate to say it, but yes, there's a good chance they may not have made it. That's quite a stretch of time to go without heat. I wouldn't give up completely....little chicky miracles do happen. I'd candle them a few more times.

3. MsBrenda

MsBrenda In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Birnamwood, Wi
    The eggs would be due to hatch next week Wednesday. Is there a cut off point that I would not see movement inside anymore? I think I was seeing the heart beating because it looked bouncy in there. But today there is no more movement in any of the eggs.

4. MsBrenda

MsBrenda In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Birnamwood, Wi
    I candled the eggs tonight and yes! I can see the chicks moving around in there!

5. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  6. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    From what I read in another post about this, the eggs go dormant if they are gradually cooled down & left still, and they can do this for a day or more. This would give the eggs the extra ability to succeed in nature if the mama hen forgot her eggs for a day before getting back on them.
    I've experienced a 12-hour power outage at about day 12, in May, and mine all made it, that is all made it, just late 2 days. Keep your chin up, they might all be just fine. The most crucial period for stable temp is way past.

7. MsBrenda

MsBrenda In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Birnamwood, Wi
    well my chicks made it to the time of hatch but so far haven't. yesterday was the hatch date. I can see veins under the surface of the shells. I have 5 eggs due. I assume they are delayed due to the power outage we had. I feel like I am in the waiting room of a maternity ward! but right now I am unsure. This is my first hatch.... if they make it.

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    I would give them at least a couple of extra days over what you'd normally wait. Hard to say how a power interruption will affect them.

9. orionburn

orionburn Songster

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Quote:Same here. Give it some more time and see what happens. Some times they're late even without going through something like a power outtage. Good luck!

10. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    The power outages will definately set the eggs behind schedule... give them a couple extra days... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by