Power outage on day 21 of incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greenchicken22, Feb 8, 2017.

1. greenchicken22

greenchicken22 Just Hatched

Oct 11, 2016
    I am started day 21 at 11am this morning. My power went out at 11:05. I have no pips and I hear nothing and see no eggs moving. I have my incubator in the warmest room with my wood stove and the temp is satyinag about 88-92 right now. I also have a blanket over 2/3's of bator. My humidity was perfect between 68-70 and now it's fluctuating some up and down. What are my chances of having any hatch????? This is my first thime hatchcimg , I made a homemade incubator.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5:30 this evening is our day 21 and I just found 2 external pips! [​IMG]

Our power goes out all the time and I can't believe we made it through (so far) without any outages, was one of my biggest fears. For future reference, some people keep small stones or rocks (maybe egg sized) in their incubators to help stabilize temps in case of outage. And I will definitely remember to use them in the future.

I think your chances are still good! Life finds a way. [​IMG]

Just make sure your ventilation holes aren't blocked as air is important. My first hatch as well. [​IMG]

3. greenchicken22

Oct 11, 2016
    Thanks so much for replying. I'm keeping a close eye on them and I'm hoping to have power on soon. Will the external pips be on the side facing up. I don't see a thing.

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Yes, they should be on the side facing up. And if you air cells marked should be close to the lowest point of the air cell.

And many factors can change the timing.. different breed or different colored eggs or different sizes can make them hatch sooner or later than each other. As well as the possibility of the actual temp being lower or higher than we think could hasten or delay the process just a tad.

Do you have them all touching so they can communicate with each other to coordinate their hatch?

This has been an active thread with lots of help if you wanna try over there for more info than I know.... Sometimes these things go by so fast on the front page, others may not see them to respond.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1150890/lock-down-humidity-help/110#post_18044009

5. greenchicken22

Oct 11, 2016
    Thank you I will check it out. Yes they are all touching. Lol. I just got it plugged back in so it was out for a total of 8 hours but the temp never got below 85 since I had it in front of wood stove. I post on the other one too and see if I get anymore suggestions. You've been a great help thanks a bunch.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Whew!!!
    I hate when that happens......sounds like you did good
    About all you can do is wait and hope....doesn't sound too bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by