Power outage overnight, day 2 of incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chotii, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Chotii

Chotii Chillin' With My Peeps

Doggone it, I've probably just lost a SECOND batch of 24 eggs. We had a power outage overnight; I only set those eggs 2 days ago. I don't know how cold the incubator got. I know the power was fine when I went to bed at 1, and kid told me it was out when she woke up at 6:30 and couldn't turn on the TV to watch cartoons. The power came back around 7am; the eggs are just about back up to temp now (it's 11am).

Wah. [​IMG] The last batch died from a temp spike, so I bought a wafer thermostat from GQF. I can only hope desperately that a long slow cool and a long slow re-warm is gentle enough at this stage that they can survive.

Any hope?

2. dsowens15

dsowens15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    I would say you have a chance, But be sure to candle and let us know if they survived.

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I'd say, with my very limited experience, that you stand a pretty good chance of a normal hatch. May have slowed it down a bit, but I'd rather deal with low temps than a surge and a rise in temps! The eggs in the bator take time to cool internally, so maybe they held their temps pretty well. Hens get off the nest all the time during a hatch, and the chicks make it, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. [​IMG] Let us know!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by