power outage overnight now no A/C incubator has high humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BrambleCreekFarm, Aug 4, 2008.

1. BrambleCreekFarm

BrambleCreekFarm Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    Concord GA
    Hi All I have a friends RCom 20 incubator. we had a power outage saturday night and currently do not have A/C the incubator keeps running upwards of 63% humidity. other than opening the cover what can I do to drop the humidity - and how will this effect the hatch - oh we are on day 11. (countdown says 10 days left)
    Thanks!!

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
  3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Of course...take all the water out. I think you'll be ok. These things have happened to most of us and our hatches are rarely affected very much. Just as an FYI...we have one of these: (not this brand but much like it)

[​IMG][/img]

I can't tell you how handy it is to have around for everything...including power outages for your incubator. When we had our last outage I was on day 18 and started right into panic mode. My DH quietly went to the garage and brought in the power pack, plugged the incubator in and walked out. I was still standing there looking like this [​IMG]

4. BrambleCreekFarm

BrambleCreekFarm Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    Concord GA
    Thanks! Dh and I were talking about needing to get one of those. The worst part is when they turned the power back on they didnt check one of the transformers and it sent 240v directly into the house (thats why the no a/c now) things started popping left and right - thank god it didnt burnup the bator!! one of the nuetral legs (?) was messed up and a transformer was leaking oil. Thank god DH was up and quickly turned off the main breaker!
    gonna go try to get all the water out now
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by