Power outage, pips went for a ride! UPDATE Pg 4

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lemurchaser, May 19, 2010.

1. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Today is day 19 and I woke up to a pip! It's at the wrong end of the egg but seems to be doing well. So this afternoon we had a major wind storm and lost power. I immediately covered the incubator with a towel, but the temps just kept falling. When they hit 94 degrees and falling, I knew it was time to do something. So off to the car where I have a plug adapter and could plug the incubator in. Temps came right back up, and stayed steady. Yay for Brinsea Eco!

Oh and these are my own eggs for the first time ever! They are from my Easter eggers and a Blue birchen Marans rooster, so olive eggers. And a couple brown eggs from either my Partridge rock, SLW, BLRW or columbian wyandotte. I can't wait to see what the babies look like.

[​IMG]

The pip itself!
    [​IMG]

After an hour in the car, I decided we'd go get some icecream. So I strapped in the chickies and off we went.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

WOOT!!!!!! Yeah for you!!!

3. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Hilarious!

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Love it, you will have to post pictures of them when they are ready for their photo shoot. [​IMG]

5. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    How cool. The kids, I mean chicks are already riding in their carseat.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    LMAO way to go! And my DH laughed at me when I had a small generator on standby when my bator was going...I would do the same thing if I thought of it. You must get pics of the babies when they hatch.

7. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I'm so glad you're hatch is okay! The eggs you sent me are in the incubator and are due out on June 1st, I haven't candled yet but I'll be sure to let you know how they're developing. I wish you all the best luck on your hatch, these little ones should be given extra special names, like Honda. Or Ford, or BMW.

L0L.

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Yep....I took my whole incubator on vacation with us for a week at the beach. It made the 4 hour drive there just fine...never missed a beat and hatched out 8 lavender silkies and 4 porcelain silkies!!!

[​IMG]

9. lemurchaser

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I got up at 5am to check on the pip, and no progress, so I went back to bed. When I got up at 9 am the wrong end-car-riding-pipper had hatched! It's all yellow and blue, hooray [​IMG] . It's strong and doing great. Here's the baby:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  10. lemurchaser

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Quote:That's great! I'm so excited to see what you get too. I hope shipping wasn't too hard on them.

I was thinking of calling this one Subaru, or Impreza. Or my sister suggested calling them all after ice cream flavors (since they've all been out for ice cream).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by