Power Outage Scare

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TonySorrento, Mar 28, 2012.

1. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    I have 14 chicks that are from 2 - 3 weeks old and we lost power this morning at 5:30 [​IMG]

I checked them and they were all one fuzzy furball as they were trying to stay warm ... thank God the power went back on in an hour and a half ... but what if it would have stayed out for hours? Would i have lost them? It was probably 50 degrees in the garage. I covered the brooder with a blanket .... I didn't know what to do .... [​IMG]

I am looking for a used generator today ....

BTW, they seem totally fine now ...

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    This has happened to me, Tony. It's very un-nerving, to say the least. But all you need to do next time is have some empty plastic milk jugs handy, fill them with hot water, and place them in the brooder. It will raise the temperature as much as a heat lamp would. I overdid it one time, and I had to remove jugs as I noticed the chicks were panting.

3. TonySorrento

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    Z ... thank you so much! I feel so stupid! Great idea!

4. CitySilkies88

CitySilkies88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    NE Ohio
    I agree with the use of hot water in jugs to keep chicks warm in a pinch. I actually boil water for my water bottles so that they are extra hot.

5. CitySilkies88

CitySilkies88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    NE Ohio
    I just had to come back and say I think I jinxed myself replying to this thread. Because about an hour after our whole neighborhood lost power. And I was freaking out because not even my oven would work to boil water. So my nephew helped me out a bit and brought down a little generator though the charge was low and it eventually shut down. So I filled up two gallon jugs with water as hot as I could get from my sink and put those in the brooder. All the chicks laid between the jugs to stay warm.

I was SO happy when the power came back on. We have been having some wicked wind.

6. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I am so glad that I came across this thread. I have power outages from time to time and this is a great idea. The water coming out of my tap is at 160°, so it is on the hot side. hey, you can get two showers and not run out of water.

7. TonySorrento

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    I am so glad my fear can be a blessing to so many :D

8. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    I had that same scare when a thunderstorm put our power out. They were 3 days old. They went without the heat lamp for about 5 hours. I had 16 of them and they were in a pile keepig themselves warm. We were just about ready to put jars full of hot water in and thepower came back on. they are a lot tougher than we give them credit. The heat came back and the chicks were running around the brooder like nothing happen.

9. scorwin

scorwin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Oh scary! When I lose power, I lose everything water and stove too. Now that gives me something else to worry about when I get my chicks in May!!!

10. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I would have bottles of water put up and a camp stove(which I do) with fuel to cook on it. Before I got into chickens I was with out power for 6 days and water for 4 so I really found ways to make it everything work. We also have a wood stove to heat with or to even cook on. I was thinking them hand warmer you find for hunters, placed under a towel or newspaper might help too. keep them feet warm can help a bunch.
    Thing we think of to keep our chickens safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by