POWER OUTAGE UPDATE, PICS OF NEW CHICKS

nstilwater

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
We have a huge winter storm coming in and my power has gone out several times. chicks hatching. when i woke up this am temp was 80 one was hatched out one partially zipped but , two had died, one zipwrapped, now i have three that need to hatch power is back on now but hummidity all messed up the three are alive and moving but what do i do if the power goes out again how do i keep it warm in there i have hand warmers will that work? the hummidity is way too low and im worried they will wrap any advice would be helpful, did i mention they were supposed to hatch on sunday......they are late due to temp issues cause of the power!

UPDATE........power still on, I was able to save two of the chicks the ones that died were not fully formed......im thinking temp issues during incubation. i have hatched from these parent before with 100% hatch......oh well better luck next time. I will be setting 17 more eggs tomorrow, i solved my power problem.....if it goes off now i have a Car jump box that will run it for about 12 hours......All right on with the pics Say hello to the newest chicks............Alfredo and Terriyaki

Last edited:
Oh, I've had this happen myself. My husband has a Honda generator and we plugged the incubator into that. If you don't have access to a generator, they say to keep the incubator closed and maybe wrap a blanket around it to hold the heat in...But you have to make sure they can still breath the air too.

Those hand warmers could be a great idea! I would maybe use those if necessary......

I feel your pain. We've gone without power for a full week once, and many times for a day or so. We are all electric, and we live out in the country, so finally this year we installed a wood-burning stove so that we would still have heat in case we lose power.

We also have a generator now. Not a huge one, but it can run a TV, some lights, and the fridge. The terrible thing is we can't flush toilets and we don't have water when the power goes out because we have well water. I do fill 2 liter bottles with water, and save them in the garage. That way we can use that water to wash dishes with or flush the toilet or whatever's necessary--water the chickens and dog....

Good luck and you might just have to help a chick get out of the egg.........Shhh, don't say I said that......
wink.png
Take care and stay warm,
Sharon

Oh, I've had this happen myself. My husband has a Honda generator and we plugged the incubator into that. If you don't have access to a generator, they say to keep the incubator closed and maybe wrap a blanket around it to hold the heat in...But you have to make sure they can still breath the air too.

Those hand warmers could be a great idea! I would maybe use those if necessary......

I feel your pain. We've gone without power for a full week once, and many times for a day or so. We are all electric, and we live out in the country, so finally this year we installed a wood-burning stove so that we would still have heat in case we lose power.

We also have a generator now. Not a huge one, but it can run a TV, some lights, and the fridge. The terrible thing is we can't flush toilets and we don't have water when the power goes out because we have well water. I do fill 2 liter bottles with water, and save them in the garage. That way we can use that water to wash dishes with or flush the toilet or whatever's necessary--water the chickens and dog....

Good luck and you might just have to help a chick get out of the egg.........Shhh, don't say I said that......
wink.png
Take care and stay warm,
Sharon

I know the feeling I live in the country too and in 09 we lost power for close to a month due to a masive ice storm. I would help the chicks out of the eggs too I had to help one of mine last night. I don't see a problem with it they made it this far and are trying to get out if the power was on they would do it themselves but the power is out so they need a little help. If your power is on for the moment and if you have a thermos i'd fillit will super hot water and wrap it in a towel so it stays warm and if they hatch then you have something warm for them to lay against

I think I remember that ice storm.....That was when we lost power for the full week, I think.

Good ideas with the hot water in the thermos, Thanks!

Sharon

We have a wood stove so it stays warm in the living room although not the 99 that it stays in the bator, have one that is almost out now and two more that i am helping cause they need to dry off before the power goes out again, snow still dumping, dont worry, ive helped chicks before, at this point if i leave them to their own devices i fear they wont make it, as of now they are doing well, going very slow to help them, will put hot water bottle and hand warmers in if power goes out again

wink.png
Take care and stay warm,
Sharon

Back
Top Bottom