Power outage - very short but temp not picking up again?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Godiva, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I tripped the breaker (toaster and kettle on same point) and heard the incubator go off to. So flipped the breaker on again after unplugging the 'bator and turner, plugged them back in and now it is almost 1/2 hour later and the temp is low. Just put another blanket over the box, thinking of putting some warm water in as I need to add some anyway... how long should it take to get stabilised again!!? What do you think is going on? [​IMG]

2. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:First, double check the breaker that they are in the "on" position and not half way or "off" then check that the "reset" button on the outlet is set in the correct position. Your temps should be rising back up if it's been 1/2 hour later. If they are rising you'll be fine, but you can put a blanket on them in the interim.

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

what kind of incubator is it?.. do you have it on a power strip or an outlet that has a reset button?

4. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Depending on your 'bator, there could be a circuit that needs to be tripped on the thermostat. Some of the assorted things I have here at the house is like that, where if there is a surge that tosses the house breaker, I run round hitting reset buttons. Also, you may the 'bator plugged into one of those ground fault type plugs in the wall that has a reset button on it. Check and you may have to hit that button too.

Depending upon where it was in the cycle when it tripped, it may take a bit to come back up. However, if it wasn't off for long it shouldn't have dropped that much in temp.

5. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I have a hovabator genesis 1588 forced air. I have just checked again and the temp continues to fall!! [​IMG] Down to 86.5F and dropping. THere is no reset button that I could find. I am wondering if I should unplug it again and see if it resets itself. I can hear the incubator motor running and the little light is flashing as if it is trying to reach the right temp but nothing is happening.

6. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I think the 'bator is aiming for 85F right now. GOing to do the whole reset thing with the toggle switches and hope it doesn't zoom up into the stratosphere.

7. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    OK, the little switches are toggled and hopefully I have this on a good setting.... the temp is rising now but I am not confident that I have it on the 'right setting'. I know that the factory setting on this one is not right and I get my brain fried trying to logically follow the half scrambled instructions on how to adjust the temperatures..... I think they were written for people who already know how the whole deal works and is just a cheat sheet for them to refresh their memories.... /

8. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Yup, sounds like the power outage caught it in mid cycle and the thing had a hiccup. Keep a close watch on the temps and adjust as needed since you had to change them to get it going again. The eggs should be fine. Figure mom gets off the nest to do the chicken thing on occasion so the occasional dip won't hurt, besides egg temps drop way slower than air temps.

I hate the majority of instructions that come with things nowdays. I used to be able to grab my tool box and putter around on my car on the weekends, repair clocks and phones, etc. Now I have to have these elaborate wiring diagrams and a 4billion page manual just to figure out what the "Quick Start" leaflet says.

9. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    [​IMG] Chinchilla! THanks for the smile there - the temp is coming up again, now I just need to be sure we don't overshoot the mark! Spending my day with my head under the blankets watching the temp and humidity.

10. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    TEmp is almost there but not quite - and that is with two blankets over the cardboard box [​IMG] so more adjusting to happen . At least it is about 99F again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by