Power outage with 2 day old chicks

kristaleigh

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
Albemarle NC
We lost power yesterday and I used the hot hands for my baby chicks, who range from 2-5 days old. All 12 of them piled up on 6 packs of hot hands. We were out of power for 4 hrs.

What a great idea! I'm going to get some to have in stock just in case. We get terrible wind storms in the spring and it's not uncommon for our power to get knocked out. I hate listening to my babies cry when their heat lamps goes out. I never even thought of this solution. Thanks for sharing!

I bought a converter for just such occasions. It can hook into a cigarette lighter of a car, or you can hook the little clips directly to the battery terminals. The one I bought will deliver 450W and cost about 30$ at Walmart. Great insurance policy when incubating or brooding. I've also used it to run a nebulizer in the car. Would be great for camping... the possibilities are endless.

Yes, I have a converter. Why didn't I think of using it? I've used it to run a radio and fan while painting a rental property. Duh! Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom