power outage

AbbysSilkies

Chirping
Jul 31, 2017
Tomorrow there's gonna be a really bad storm and we may lose power, and I just hatched chicks in an incubator today. How can I keep the chicks warm?

At least yours hatched mine are just rocking lol set to lose power over night. I got a ton of hot hands to put In brooder!!! Praying they make it! Interested to see the advice you get!

Where are you located - what's your weather temps supposed to be?
What method of brooding are you using - mama heating pad, heat lamp, etc.?
Ask on the Incubating thread as well - you may get some great answers there.

Keep them in the warmest room in the house. If you are using the mama heating pad method - pile up shavings around their cave to help hold in the heat. You can also try making a "cave" with an overturned box with shavings, bedding heaped around the sides to help keep the heat in. Minimize drafts as well.

I hope you don't lose power - just in case you haven't thought of everything - catch up extra water for you and your animals. Good luck, keep us posted.

Keep them in the warmest room in the house. If you are using the mama heating pad method - pile up shavings around their cave to help hold in the heat. You can also try making a "cave" with an overturned box with shavings, bedding heaped around the sides to help keep the heat in. Minimize drafts as well.

I hope you don't lose power - just in case you haven't thought of everything - catch up extra water for you and your animals. Good luck, keep us posted.
Thanks! We live pretty inland so I'm not too worried, I just wanted to have a plan. My dad actually found some gas hand warmers we can stick in the brooder if need be!

I'm glad your chicks all hatched.

Hopefully the power stays on for you. Anytime I think about lighter fluid, fire and chicks, it doesn't sound like a good combination. I realize these are meant to go in a person's pocket, so just be careful.

I wish you well. Keep us posted.

Alright we made it through, all 15 that hatched are doing well!!

Back
Top Bottom