Power Outage?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Saroco, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Saroco

Saroco Chillin' With My Peeps

I have three week old chicks, and it is storm season around here...What happens if the power goes out? Can I put hand warmers or something in their brooder? But what happens when they get cold? Will my chicks huddle together and keep themselves warm? Suggestions, please!

2. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    They are getting to the age when they no longer need the heatlamp to keep warm. By the time a power outage hits i'm sure they'll be fine.

3. Tawodi

Tawodi Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    southern AZ
    just a thought if you still want to provide warmth, the hot water in your water heater will still be hot. if you get a hot water bottle, you could fill that and put it in with the chicks. also, if you take it off the tap on the water heater, you could get more usable hot water out of it if it is going to be an extended outage.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I had numerous power outages this summer while raising my two batches of babies - normal for summer here in the Rocky Mountains. I just filled empty plastic milk jugs with hot tap water and placed them in the corners of the brooder.

It worked so well, I noticed the chicks were panting and trying to avoid the milk jugs. In my concern, I had overdone it, putting in too many hot water bottles. After I removed half of them, everyone seemed a lot more comfortable.

It's safe and they last a good while.

5. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    In my case, I'd be heating rice in a cast iron pan over the fireplace, pour it into a tube sock, and put it in with my babies. They could huddle against it to stay warm. I could keep reheating the same rice for them.

I would also be able to heat water over the fireplace.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  6. Saroco

Saroco Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you so much! Good Ideas! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by