Power outage

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sassafras, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    We are having a pretty bad snow storm with heavy snow. I keep the peeps in my basement where we have an airtight wood stove. Would it be safe to use the woodstove to keep the temp. up if the power goes out? I know birds are susceptible to air quality and usually there is not much of a smell except when you start the fire.
    The basement is usually 61 degrees. The chicks are a week old. I have a brinsea ecoglo. I also use a heat lamp way up on top of the dog crate (metal) to keep floor temp 81 and many of them have always preferred that.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  2. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    i have my chicks in the our shop and the only heat source they have is their heat lamps it stays between 40-50 i think and i've got a warm morning stove in there and we've used it several times when the temps got down in the 30's at night and we've also had a lot of rain and i've used it to knock the chill off and help with the dampness and the start up smoke doesn't seem to bother the chicks and i have 1 to 5 week olds and the stove is far enough away from their brooders that they don't get to hot not sure what the temp gets to but it's gets warm enough for us to be comfortable in a sweatshirt when it's 30 outside and the shop has no insulation

3. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    If your power goes out and thats all you got, use it. I've ran my wood stove here in the living room. The start up is a bit bad but you gotta do what you gotta do. I wouldnt use it regularly because you dont have the ventilation you obviously know is needed but in a pinch I dont see it hurting. Whatever would keep them warm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by