Power outage!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dodgersmomma, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Dodgersmomma

Dodgersmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Today I was out of the house for about 11 hours and when I came home the power was out! I don't know how long it had been but all the eggs in my incubator were cold. I know that it was long enough to drop the temperature from 100 to 70. I just want to know if it is still possible to hatch them. They have been in there for 4 days now but when I candled them I didn't see anything. Should I just toss them and start again or just go for it?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you can get them back up to temp... I'd leave them for another week and then candle. It's worth a shot.

3. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    I say put them back into incubation for at least another 5 days or so. Getting cool is not half as bad as getting too hot. Then candle and see what you've got. I personally don't toss until I've incubated at least a week, so I can be extra sure.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

They should be fine. I have had outages up to 24 hours with no mortality.

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    They could still be ok. You may just have a slightly later hatch than planned.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Keep the faith... One of my incubators went down to 93 the one day because of a power outage. When the power came back on one of the incubators went up to 115. Another time on our coldest night I lost power, I was 2 weeks into incubation. The temp in the incubator was 78 degrees when I discovered it. I put the incubator on a battery pack with an inverter and brought the temp back up. I was really worried but I still had good hatches.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  7. Dodgersmomma

Jun 26, 2011
    My eggs have started hatching and I have one already out but I think there is a problem with one of the other eggs... I checked it when I got home and it had a part chipped off the side, the bad part is that it's not where his head is. It looks like the chicks back and he seems to be having a hard time breathing. Also there is a little bit of blood but I think that is just some of the stuff inside of the egg. Should I help him or leave him be?

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

How long has the chick been turned wrong way 'round? It's possible it'll still hatch on it's own... Can you hear peeping?

edited to add, can you include a picture?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  9. Dodgersmomma

Jun 26, 2011
    Faint peeping and not sure exactly how long but I have known for about 3-4 hours

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

hmmmm, I'm no expert, but it might be time to intervene. Do you have Q-tips, warm water (about 100 degrees) a pair of tweezers and nerves of steel?

Cuz if so

take your tweezers and carefully remove bits of shell closest to the crack.

if you encounter membrane stuck to the chick moisten it with the Q-tip and peel it away.

Keep chipping away until the shell and membrane are removed.

Keep the lil one as warm as you can while you're working.

STOP if you see blood!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by