1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Power outage!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenManTN, Oct 31, 2013.

1. ChickenManTN

ChickenManTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    Greenbrier, TN
    Well,this is it: day 15 of incubation and the power is out. I'll probably be up all night of filling water bags and wrapping eggs. Thankfully we have a propane water heater. It seems that I have only two options for getting any sleep tonight. 1. Sleep with the eggs, setting them myself. Seems too risky. I would probably break most of them. 2. Make use of those extra roosters and tape them over the eggs. Seems too traumatic and very emasculating. Looks like it's just going to be a long night.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    So how was your night? If it helps….I've had power outages a number of times while the incubators were running and it never seemed to affect them hatching. One time the power was off most of the night and I threw a blanket over the top of the incubator, leaving the vent holes exposed so they didn't suffocate, and removed it once the power came back on. A few days later all eggs hatched. I hope the same goes for you….

1 person likes this.
  3. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    What HEChicken said. Don't give up on a hatch just because of a power outage. Likely the hatch will come off later than you had planned, but should still be ok.

4. ChickenManTN

Aug 21, 2013
    Greenbrier, TN
    One look at the power outage map was pretty intimidating. Fortunately the outage didn't last as long as I expected, only a couple hours. The scare was good training, though. I know now to keep plenty of extra water bottles handy.

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    we had a planned power out. I slept with my 2 eggs. they hatched a few days later. I slept with the chicks last 3 nights they were needy. I put a quilt and a broody hen and a box set up tonight. if the chicks are to new the hen can step on them, plus the quilt is good because the hen doesn't feel her feet slipping- less chance to step on chicks.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  6. ChickenManTN

Aug 21, 2013
    Greenbrier, TN
    WOW, that's so cool! We slept with our daughter in our bed when she was a newborn and my paternal instincts kept me from making the slightest movement. I couldn't trust myself with eggs, though.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  7. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Me either! LOL

I did once put a chilled chick into my bra until it warmed up though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by