Power Outage

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GFamFarm, Mar 15, 2015.

1. GFamFarm

GFamFarm New Egg

Dec 2, 2014
    Hey y'all, i have a question. My power went out for 4 hours today. It just came back on. I didn't get home to try to get my incubator hooked up to a generator till after the power came back on. Will my turkey eggs be alright? Is there anything special I should do? Thanks. Here are some pics of what my incubator looks like.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    What day are you on?
    It takes a bit longer for the egg to "cool" off completely, if early enough and power wasn't out for long it could do nothing more than delay your hatch. I have had power failures for a few hours with chicken eggs and no harm was done.. Best thing to do is wait a few days and candle if your late enough into incubation that you can see anything happening.
    Good Luck!

3. Snoozeys

Snoozeys Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Sydney
    My power went out for an hour the other nite and I'm hoping my eggs wont be affected ... first time using an incubator so I'm nervous as it is !!!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  4. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    I lost power for four days just before lockdown. While I lost most of the eggs, I had some hatch on day 25 instead of 21. So there is hope. Good luck.

5. Snoozeys

Snoozeys Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Sydney
    I have noticed something and it's left me slightly concerned ... looking through the forum I have noticed that ppl are setting their eggs at 37.7 - 38.0 ... mine is set to 37.5 ... should I be raising it ??

6. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    If you set the thermostat to 37.5, that is usually the "target temperature" and the temp will rise a programmed amount above that, then shut off the heater, then drop to a programmed amount below that. As ideal hatching temperature is 99.5 - 100.5 average for a forced air incubator, that's 37.5 to 38 C. If you set to the lower limit, you have little margin for error. If you set to the upper limit, you'll still be safe. If your incubator is accurately holding 99.5 at 37.5, you will be okay, but if it were me I'd bump it up to 37.8 to be right at 100F.

I set mine at 38.1 and hold a steady 100.4F, which is pretty close!

1 person likes this.
  7. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    A lower temp may just give you a slightly later hatch date. But if you are concerned, you could tweak it. Though it doesn't seem that bad of a difference to me.

8. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    It's not much, but turkeys seem to be more sensitive than chicks during incubation.

9. GFamFarm

GFamFarm New Egg

Dec 2, 2014
    It was day 3 for my turkey eggs.

10. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Nothing I would do or worry about right now.. Candle on day 10 or 11 and you should know for sure

Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by