Power outages with chicks in the brooder

Your chicks are 4 weeks and Feathered pretty good so they will be okay. You have them in the house..Right now they can go pretty much without heat...
I have January 28 chicks in an unheated shed outside... but I have 3 heat lamps on them. We have fresh snow and upper 20's/low 30's for temps here. Three heat lamps for redundancy. I could probably do just 2, but not one because I'd hate to lose 48 chicks because a bulb went out!

I have January 28 chicks in an unheated shed outside... but I have 3 heat lamps on them. We have fresh snow and upper 20's/low 30's for temps here. Three heat lamps for redundancy. I could probably do just 2, but not one because I'd hate to lose 48 chicks because a bulb went out!
That's nice...The Chicks mentioned by OP are inside the house..Hense my reply.
I have a Momma with a single Chick in my Coop. Heat lamp although it's not that warm in there..Chick is now 6 weeks and been living out in the Coop and Run with Momma for 4 weeks..It cuddles to Momma although has been exposed to -19C temps as it forages with Momma..Tougher than people think..

My plan was to move them to a bigger space in an unheated barn with two heat lamps, for the same reason you mentioned, that is once I’ve gotten them used to colder temps and they’ve outgrown my little brooder box. Of course, if the power goes off so do the heat lamps! Step three was going to be their own coop with a run, where my adult chickens can see them from a safe distance.

IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG
See Chicken Little...She is only 3 weeks in that photo..Temp is -5C...

I'm no expert (our first ever chicks we got at 1 day old 1 week ago today), but on our day 3 of having them we lost power for 24 hours! We got a bunch of hand warmers and kept them in their brooder box. Kept checking and putting new ones in till the power was restored. Kiddos did fine! Suffering another storm now and I upped the heat in the house "just in case" we lost power again, but so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom