Power outages with chicks in the brooder

Shepshill

Songster
Feb 19, 2018
New Jersey
Hi,
For those that raise chicks in a brooder with a heat lamp set for five degrees cooler each week, what do you do in a power outage? So far we’ve weathered two serious storms without losing power and my three chicks are feathering up at nearly four-weeks old, but I would like to know what contingency plans people have. Thanks in advance.

For a small number of chicks like yours, keep hot water handy, so you can fill a hot water bottle for them. Keep the water in a flask, to keep it hot and handy and save you electricity. When the power goes, fill a hot water bottle and place that in the brooder for them to snuggle up against. If needed, for shorter periods and younger chicks, cover the bottle, put the chicks on top, and cover them with a light blanket.

For a small number of chicks like yours, keep hot water handy, so you can fill a hot water bottle for them. Keep the water in a flask, to keep it hot and handy and save you electricity. When the power goes, fill a hot water bottle and place that in the brooder for them to snuggle up against. If needed, for shorter periods and younger chicks, cover the bottle, put the chicks on top, and cover them with a light blanket.

Thanks!

You're welcome :) I hope your weather will settle soon.

Hi,
For those that raise chicks in a brooder with a heat lamp set for five degrees cooler each week, what do you do in a power outage? So far we’ve weathered two serious storms without losing power and my three chicks are feathering up at nearly four-weeks old, but I would like to know what contingency plans people have. Thanks in advance.

Handwarmers wrapped in socks. Half a dozen sprinkled around the brooder for snuggling.

Back
Top Bottom