1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Power outtages in early incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bugglesmommy, Feb 10, 2013.

1. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

I set 30 eggs today and the power went out. We quickly and methodically packed up the incubator and drove 1/2 mile to my inlaws where the generator was being cranked. I then drove them home after the power returned. They were without power for less then an hour. Will they be okay?

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Oh you really shouldn't worry about it. They will be just fine. When a broody hen is sitting on eggs, she will get up to eat and will leave the nest for a an hour or more and the eggs do just fine. You should only worry if the power went out for more than 6 hours when you are well into incubation. Other than that, a cooling break is just natural for the eggs.

3. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I had a power outage on my first batch, they still hatched. But I also set up a power inverter and battery to take care of this next time!

4. peeperz

peeperz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Just to comment further...I had a 6 hour Power outage on day 18 of my hatch of a 42 egg setting during the last storm. The power was out for a total of 6 hours, I wrapped the incubator & put several 1liter Jars of warm water in the bottom to hold the heat for a couple of hours & at hour 4 I resorted to running the car with the eggs in a blanket on the heated car seats... I did this for an hour hoping for the power to come back on & finally gave up & took them for a drive to a friend with power (20 min's away)... of course as soon as I got back home the power came on, but they stayed for an overnighter on their kitchen table! The results of this escapade? a dragged out hatch... took over 3 days and 50% hatch rate. Not so great, but I thought this was way better than nothing!

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    well a hen lays an egg for an hour or so, leaves, then comes back to the nest the next day lays another egg, and leaves. then comes back the next day until she has a clutch then she sits on the whole bunch and they all hatch the same day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by