Power supply for cooler incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmer Viola, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    I am starting to put the pieces together to build a cooler incubator! I have a question about the power supply / converter / inverter I should use. I see from this wonderful article that I should be using a 120v input 12v DC output inverter.

I have 2 possible choices, but neither of them say exactly what the instructions say.

Would either of these be ok to use? or do I need to go to goodwill and find an adapter that matches exactly?

choice #1:
    Delta Electronics AC Adapter
    input: 100-240V ~ 0.2A
    output: 5V ---- 1A LPS
    the ---- is a symbol I don't have on my keyboard

choice #2:
    Blackberry phone charger
    (doesnt say AC or DC)
    input: 100-240V ~150mA 50-80Hz 10-20VA
    output: 5V ----- 700mA
    the ---- is a symbol I don't have on my keyboard

Quote:

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I'm assuming your are intending to drive the computer fan with this?

It doesn't matter which, most likely. From what you're posting, both put out 5 volts, which will turn the 12v computer fan quietly, but too slowly in my book. I tried the 5v from a cell phone and it just wouldn't push the fan fast enough to more much air.

The 8-9 volt output range will almost double the speed of the fan and move almost twice as much air per hour.

On the computer fan itself, you have to have to "stand off" the side of the cooler 3/4" minimum, otherwise if you place it flush against the cooler, nothing is going to be moved. Noise but no air movement. There are many ways to mount the fan, but flush mounting it isn't one of them.

Good luck on your build. Lots of fun doing this.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    The output of the supply needs to match the input of the fan.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Why? We've run them with 5v and/or 8V or 9V for years. They just spin slower, that's all.

5. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    argh, okay, sorry for my ignorance some of this isn't computing in my brain and I don't understand power that well.

I thought this would be used for the fan only, I have an old computer fan that says DC12V -- .33A on it. since the power supply for the cell phone is 5V, looks like I will need to find a 12V, off to goodwill!

I also have a thermostat, a lightbulb, and I will need to buy a lamp kit (dont have it yet). So I think the lamp and the thermostat are wired through the lamp wire, and this power supply for the fan is separate?

so the incubator requires 2 wall sockets? am I understanding it right?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  6. ChickenLegs13

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama

Because electricians are anal about nameplate ratings. :)

7. ChickenLegs13

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama

Yes.
    You could splice the 120v to the thermostat with the 120v to the DC power supply if you wanted to use a single plug to the wall socket.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by