Power Tripping Nobodies Make Me So Mad!! - Extreme Rant

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Picky Chicky, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I'm so angry right now I could spit! Maybe even throw the mother of all tantrums.

Here's what's going on (I'm trying desperately to make this concise):

My brother kid brother & his girlfriend dated for 2 years, decided to move in together & then found out she was pregnant. They loved each other & got married. Weeks later she lost her job & then a month later he lost his.

After hard work, my brother managed to get his dream job (fire fighter). The catch was that it was 2 hours away from home.

Now then... wifey is due to have their baby (boy) in June. He's freaking out because he's afraid he'll miss the birth of his first born. So they decided to try & break their apt. lease.

In their contract it states that people with job transfers are allowed to give 60 days notice & pay penalty fees (approx $2000). He can barely afford those fees, but it's important to him not to miss his baby's birth and to make sure that they don't have to uproot everything and move while things are still nutty.

Now then... here's where I need you guys to hang in there with the details...

It's not a straight forward job transfer. Remember, he lost his job & found another. The economy is what it is, and the best he could do was 2 hours away (dream job).

For 2 years he's been volunteering at the fire dept across the street from his current home. He's a paid volunteer. Ok, yes... that's a stretch but "JOB TRANSFER" is not clearly defined in the written contract - so subject to interpretation??

The apartment complex got nasty with them & treated them like scum. So after encouragement from ramped up sis (me)... he called the Regional Property Manager. She wasn't as hateful as the property manager, but she was unsympathetic. Answer - still no. She says if he wants to break his lease then he'll have to cough up over $4000 in penalty fees. Ouch!

So now my kid brother is waiting for the President of the firm to call him back.

Ultimately he's not looking for any handouts. He's more than willing to give 60 days notice (he'll move out before then) and pay the $2000 in penalty fees. He may even be willing to do a transfer to one of the community's sister properties. $4000 - is not do-able.

I used to work for a rental property company and I know that they can make exceptions - they did it all the time for situations like these. I would love to stand face to face with these people and bless them out for enjoying their little power trip and trying to make this so difficult for this young couple. There is no need for it! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry for the length... I just had to get some of this anxiety off my chest.

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Sorry about this situation. The good news though is that if they can't break the lease the odds of a 1st timer giving birth in 2 hours or less is very small. Your brother really should have no time making it home in time for the birth of his baby. [​IMG]

3. Picky Chicky

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Quote:...unless he's on a call that he can't break away from (they just had 30 acres burn in a local brush fire that took them the better half of the day & night to contain). Sorry.. I'm always Miss Pessimist to the rescue. [​IMG]

4. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

How unfair!!! [​IMG] I hope you get your "day in court" with them. . .with the economy the way it is, they are looking to get their "due" because they are probably loosing lessees alot for job transfers. . .but how can they stand in the way of someone who is trying to better himself!!! I think $2000 is way out of line . . .that is a lot of money to all of us, and I feel bad your brother has to put up with this kind of treatment. Keep us posted!!!

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Some people have sympathy for people at all. That would make me soooooo mad!

6. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

imo, BREAK the lease and tell them they BOTH lost their jobs and cannot pay a dime! EVER. see how they like that avenue. If he does not move to the jurisdiction of his job, he WILL loose his job. They want him available when they need him. A house can be burnt to the ground in 2 hours.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i would break the lease....BUT get in writing his offer to the apt owners..and their denial..i really doubt a judge will make this young couple trying to do the right thhing pay...he may makle them pay the $2000, but i doubt they will get any more than that...i'd call their bluff and move....

8. Picky Chicky

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I absolutely agree. I would be shocked if a judge pressed the issue. They have impeccable credit (despite their situation), a newly married couple with their first baby on the way... what person can live with themselves trying to take advantage of this situation?

A friend of mine suggested that they try and find a fair-priced attorney to write a letter basically stating that the complex doesn't have a leg to stand on and see if they don't back down.

My brother isn't confident enough to do any of this though - I know him well enough to know that he doesn't want the remotest chance in hello that this could fall back on him and cost him more than he has - especially with baby on the way.

Oh, and as for the President of the firm, he didn't call him back. I'm hoping he'll hear something from him tomorrow. I'm sure the President is doing his own check with the people my brother has already talked to before calling him back. [​IMG]

Thanks for all of your opinions and well wishes!!

9. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

*blink blink* Avandie - when did you change your name? Gettin me all confused [​IMG] Good thing you didnt change your avatar, only way I recognized ya [​IMG]

Ouch - hard situation to be in. Unfortunately, if they signed the lease and, while I understand the "open to interpretation" thing - its not our interpretation that its open to [​IMG] its the property owners/rental managers. Is it right? No... but is it legal? Yep [​IMG]

I'd contact a lawyer too and see what they say - but at the same time you dont want your brother to ruin his credit and referral from the place he's living now. Every new place he goes to rent requires the last places' history (i.e,. they're going to call the place for referral) - so credit only plays one part - tenancy plays the other.

I'd tell Brothers boss that as soon as wife even FEELS like she's going into labor..he's got to go - fire or no fire. He's a volunteer, right? Paid or otherwise - that means that there are PAID 24/7 firemen on staff to take over for the volunteers. I have many friends that are both paid firefighters and volunteer firefighters, so if his Chief isnt too much of a butt - he can get off for the birth of his child - just a matter of asking/telling and planning. Wifey needs to ensure she knows at every single stage to call AS SOON as she feels ANY pains - your brother should be able to make it there in time for the birth without a problem. Rarely do first timers have a baby in 2 hours time [​IMG].

Good luck with it all... I know how frustrating this must be.

10. Picky Chicky

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Quote:Thanks so much for the well wishes. I did get a good grin with your reaction to the name change. It's Spring.. .and Avandrie was always my "Junk Mail" name (I was feeling uncreative when I signed up here a couple moons back). Picky Chicky actually reflects my unsophisticated and under developed food palette. [​IMG]

After DB got canned from his old job, he continued to volunteer while he looked for a new one. Luckily he got on full time (no more volunteer stuff) with a different county (about two hours away). Worst case scenario, I'm certain that the guys/gals at the Fdept would understand if he got the call that baby is on his way. I don't think they'd hold him hostage. [​IMG]

Still... it's disheartening to watch this happen to them. Especially when one of the apartment complex's sister communities say that something like this would be at the property manager's discretion... so it's a popularity contest with the property manager. I was going to make a hateful remark about what they could bring her that would reflect just how low rent she is, but I'll hold my tongue. For now. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by