Power was out for 3 hours this afternoon..help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Turkeyrangler, May 17, 2010.

1. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    I came home at 5pm to find the power out. Neighbor said it had been out since 2pm. I checked my eggs and the temp was down to 75 degrees. I hooked up the generator and have temp back up. I have 5 turkey eggs in the incubator. Does anyone know if they will make it? They are on day 14 and were doing really well up to this point. Haven't candled the yet. Waiting for the power to come back on and I can get off the generator...

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Hope you didn't adjust the thremosat and let the temp come up naturally. May be a little late in hatching, but the temp wasn't down all that long.

3. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Power outages are not really a bad thing in incubation believe it or not. I had one hatch that was doomed in my mind, so many power outages and mostly while I was not home, one was 14 hours total. I got a lower than usual hatch rate, and they were late, but it was not a total flunk like I expected. For short power outages like you have had I would not expect anything, had that many times. Gotta love living rural, since I moved here I know how to handle being in the middle of almost anything and the power being out.

Brooding power outages are much more of a issue.

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I have some hatching right now after a 16 hour power outage last Saturday into Sunday. They should be OK.

5. Turkeyrangler

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    Thank folks. I'm let the temp come back up on it's own. Didn't touch the thermostat. Temp is now steady at 99.3. Bought the generator due to ice storms. I'm running the computer, a lamp and the incubator right now. Power is supposed to be back up shortly.

6. foxflower

foxflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Surprise Valley, CA
    I had 6 eggs in the bator when power went out at night....I didn't know it until the eggs were cool to the touch. It was only day 2 of the hatch though. They just finished hatching a few minutes ago.....5 eggs out of 6 and they were shipped. I'm a newbie at the hatch and it has not been perfect. So I'm sure there is hope for you too! Good luck!

7. Turkeyrangler

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    Power is back, it was past time to turn anyways. I candled the five and all are still moving. Hopefully they will do alright.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by