Power washing chicken coop

Devorah

Songster
Feb 28, 2022
Leyden, Massachusetts
Anyone use a cleaner with a power washer in the coop? If so, what kind of cleaner? Can I use any biodegradable suitable for a power washer? I’m doing a deep clean of a coop I inherited … thank you for your responses!

When I inherited a coop, I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide detergent (Oxyclean) at about a 30% solution because I had read literature that, at that concentration, help clear any coccidia. I didn't put that into the power washer. I simply created a soapy bucket and placed on the coop floor and let sit for about 10 minutes so disinfect. It bubbles up any hardened crusted material.

Then we power washed it and let it sit for 3 months in the sun.

I didn't have any troubles with the coop.

LofMc

When I inherited a coop, I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide detergent (Oxyclean) at about a 30% solution because I had read literature that, at that concentration, help clear any coccidia. I didn't put that into the power washer. I simply created a soapy bucket and placed on the coop floor and let sit for about 10 minutes so disinfect. It bubbles up any hardened crusted material.

Then we power washed it and let it sit for 3 months in the sun.

I didn't have any troubles with the coop.

LofMc
Thanks! I’m trying to only use biodegradable cleaners here so perhaps a diluted vinegar solution will do the trick. I already did an initial power wash with water and kept the doors open all day. Will repeat with the vinegar and let dry for a while.

Thanks! I’m trying to only use biodegradable cleaners here so perhaps a diluted vinegar solution will do the trick. I already did an initial power wash with water and kept the doors open all day. Will repeat with the vinegar and let dry for a while.
Vinegar is not bacteriocidal, so you know that, if you believe it will kill any bacteria. You need to use something like Tek-trol to be sure to kill bacteria & viruses, if that's what you really want to accomplish.

Attachments

• Tektrol.png
    Tektrol.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Vinegar is not bacteriocidal, so you know that, if you believe it will kill any bacteria. You need to use something like Tek-trol to be sure to kill bacteria & viruses, if that's what you really want to accomplish.
Thanks! While that would be a good goal, I’m trying to not use chemicals/substances harmful to the environment.

Back
Top Bottom