Power went off last night in the incubator! Help!

Goldenlaceannie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 31, 2012
Hello all,

Last night, during the storm, our power went off for about four hours. Its day 17 for our batch of chicken eggs, and they were doing great. As soon as the power went off in our Little Giant Still Air Incubator, I covered the whole thing with a really thick blanket to try to preserve the heat. It must have worked pretty well, because the temp didn't get below 90 F. However, it stayed at around
93 F almost the entire time the power was off. I am hoping and praying that these little babies will be okay.
Any advice y'all might have or similar experiences you could share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

- Goldenlaceannie

sumi

Égalité
Staff member
Premium member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Tipperary, Ireland
I think they'll be fine. I've had a couple of power failures while incubating, one of my chicks actually hatched in the middle of a lengthy one a few weeks ago, and it didn't do them any harm. The temperature in my incubator dropped quite low too, much lower than yours. Those little embryos are a lot tougher than we think!

Goldenlaceannie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 31, 2012
Hey,

I just put the eggs on lockdown, and they seem to be fine. We have two dozen eggs in there, and I candled them this morning before I put them on lockdown. All the babies look great, and they have filled up all of their egg. A few of them even look like they are getting ready to pip in the air
sack. I know they are alive, because they were moving and wiggling when we candled them. Thanks for the help, and I will keep y'all posted on the hatch. Wish us good luck, please!

~ Goldenlaceannie

Goldenlaceannie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 31, 2012
Hey again,

Thank God, so far, thirteen of the chicks have hatched. They are so adorable! None of the chicks look like they have any problems or complications due to the temperature drop. I have several others that are pipping and peeping, and they should be hatching soon. A few haven't pipped yet, but I'm going to wait a while before I try to assist them. Thanks!

~ Goldenlaceannie

Top Bottom