1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Power went off to the incubator, are my eggs had it??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rattrap, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Rattrap

Rattrap New Egg

Dec 1, 2012
    Tasmania Australia
    Hi all,
    I started a fresh batch of chicken eggs in my incubator, the foam box style, 5 days ago & all had been going well however last night i accidentally turned off the power board that supplies my incubator.
    This morning when i got up & check on them the temp was down to 15c (59f)
    Is this batch of eggs had it?
    I put the incubator straight back on this morning & had them back up to temp a couple of hours later but i'm wondering if its too late.
    Advice much appreceated.

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    You can go 5 more days then candle and see if they have made it or not?

3. Sally8

Sally8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Hornby,NY
    I had the same thing happen to me at about the same amount of days into the hatch. Only about half hatched. I can't really remember how cold it got. I also candled after a few days, found that some were infertile and some hadn't started to develop. I'm sorry. Good luck.

4. Rattrap

Rattrap New Egg

Dec 1, 2012
    Tasmania Australia
    Thanks guys, i'll give them a few more days then i'll try candling them, see if they are any good.
    I'll have to start collecting more eggs again just incase. I think the chickens have taken to laying in the bush again, yet to find their nest tho. I'll need to keep them in till mid afternoon & get them back to laying in the nesting boxes. 1 of my hens went broody about the same time i put the eggs in the incubator so i tucked 7 eggs under her as well so hopefully either way i'll have some chicks before long!

5. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Cool about the broody. Mine just hatched out 2.

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  7. Rattrap

Rattrap New Egg

Dec 1, 2012
    Tasmania Australia
    Thanks for that link Sally, looks like they might be alright, the temp dropped into what was called 'suspended development stage'
    Fingers crossed for them then!

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    My little brinsea mini got unplugged twice this go round and I lost most of my quail and one serama but I still have some going I guess it just depends some seem so sensitve and anything will kill them and some seem like you could play hocky with them and they would still hatch [​IMG] ( I ment that jokeingly by the way) Give them some time then candle them you may lose some or they might all be fine ,Good luck

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Good luck, update with next candle!! [​IMG]

10. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Six of those serama eggs are going strong, one looks like it started and fizzled out (I'll still leave it until next candle though), and I can't see anything in the coturnix eggs. I can see clearly through them all though, so hopefully closer to d day I can check development by looking for blackness, lol. I did pull one of the coturnix eggs though, because it had a crack on the top. I didn't candle before setting them, so I didn't notice it four days ago, lol.

As for the incubators going down, mine was dropped for a day or two about four or five days ago, and I had to adjust it WITH eggs in it. I pulled out about eight eggs, and it looks like out of those, only one had started and quit. The serama was added after the fluctuation, so I am not counting that one. I still have six duck eggs, a leghorn egg and three cornish cross eggs still going strong, so the fluctuation I had didn't seem to phase them.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by