1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Power went out!!!! 4 hours...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dwegg, Dec 12, 2010.

1. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

The power went out at 4pm today [​IMG] and I panicked [​IMG] ... I quickly wrapped the bator in blankets and moved it to the bathroom in the middle of the house with no windows...outside temps 14F with windchill.

It was only our street that was out? About 10 houses... [​IMG]

Then DH suggested we run power cords out the back as our neighbor still had power...so I raced around and got all the extension cords from the Christmas lights and it worked...we had power! phew! [​IMG] Then after 30 mins...all the neighborhood went out!!!! [​IMG] and it came back on at 8:15pm...

I managed to keep the temp in the bator above 90F but the humidity went through the roof up to 80%??????

All is back to normal now 99.7F and 50% humidity...fingers crossed they will make it. [​IMG]

2. rjs55555

rjs55555 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Latrobe, PA
    I would think they will be ok. If you think about it, momma chicken will get of the nest for a little while here and there. Temps and humidity will occasionally change with a real chicken.

3. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks..yes that is what I was telling myself....

4. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    I have had two hatches where we experienced power outages...both during the night were we did not know and woke up to bator temps in the 70`s. I had 90 and 100% hatch rates in these with lower temps and longer outages. I think you will be fine [​IMG]

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    We had about an 8-9 hour power outage a few years ago. It was my first incubating experience with eggs of my passed away Sandy. I lost 1 out of 4 during that time but I was blessed with 2 boys and 1 little girl! and this was in the dead of winter to!!

6. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Wow my power went out for a whoping 25 minutes tonight and I was a mess! Best of luck with your hatch. [​IMG]

7. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    My power went out in the middle of the night for several hours unbeknownst to me until I saw my alarm clock was messed up. I checked the incubator thermometer and the low temp recorded was 82 degrees. I figure the power was out for at leat 4 hours. Didin't affect the hatch at all. Don't worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by