Power Went out for 8 Hours Last Night!!!!~~~~Update~~~~

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChrystalGail, Aug 14, 2007.

1. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    We had a massive thunder storm roll through last night, and as happy as I am that my rain dance worked, it knocked out the power with it. It went off at about 10 pm and came back on just before 6 am. A whole 8 hours!!! We are on day 10 right now. The temp got down to 84 and the humidity jumped to 65%. Do you think they will be okay? This is so much more stressful than I imagined!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  2. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Man, what a bummer for you! That's been my worst fear during incubating, because where I live, the power is constantly going out and it takes the power company hours to get it back up. So far, it's never happened to me, but I know the day is coming.

From what I heard in this situation, the less time the eggs have been incubating, the better chance the embryos have. Since it is only day 10, I am sure you will have a few that will be strong enough to pull through.

I would wait until day 14 and candle them then to see how they're doing. Good luck and keep us posted!

3. silkiebeginer

silkiebeginer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Mine went with out power for 2.5 - 3 hours when my daughter accidently unplugged the bator. The temp went down in the 70's. It didn't even effect mine. Wait a few days, candle again and check to make sure all is well.

Good Luck, Jennifer

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I feel sure the hatch will be fine. It might slow things down a bit but I would be very surprised that it will kill all your developing eggs. Ones that are iffy may not make it but the majority of healthy chicks should be fine. I know this because I had a mama abandon some eggs that I found cold in the morning. I brought them inside and they hatched just fine in the incubator.

5. ChrystalGail

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Thanks for all the reassurance! I will candle them in a few days to see how they all are doing. I will let you know what I find...

6. Royicus

Royicus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Western Oregon
    Last winter, my power went out for over 7 days. Didn't hurt that the temperature was in the 40s...

Luckily between my parent's house, my sister's house, and silkiechickens, I didn't have to spend a night sleeping in a house where you could see your breath...

Edit: I also had jury duty that week...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Eggs will be fine. Temps didn't drop that much really since 84 deg is just about the threshold for development. I can bring eggs out of the bator for a whole day and pop them back in and they will still hatch. Just candle again at day 18 and I bet you'll find happy little chicks just waiting to pop out!

8. ChrystalGail

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Well, I went a head and candled tonight to even though tomorrow is actually day 14 (don't worry I won't candle tomorrow, too! [​IMG]). I looks like I've lost 6 out of the 40 eggs I had going. I'm actually pretty sure that it wasn't because of the power, because 4 of them were completly clear and 2 had small embryos in them. So, it looks like things are going good. I have 8 more days to find out for sure!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I sure hope things go well! I'm excited to see what I have. I got the eggs from 2 barnyard mixes, one of which was a lady who has the rarest of the rare from Murray McMurray. It will be a big bunch of mutts! I'M SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

YAY! I'm excited about a hatch that is due sunday! Good luck. Waiting is so hard!

10. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Good Luck on Sunday!!! That is tomorrow!!! How will you get anything done between now and then???
    I have 3 more days to go and I hate to rush away Summer days but it's impossible to not think about them all the time!!
    Don't forget to charge the camera tonite!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by