1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Power went out!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Greenthumb83, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Greenthumb83

Greenthumb83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2016
    The wind knocked the power out and we have no heat source as of 1 hour ago, but I've put my 10 chicks (8 days old) in a smaller box to contain warmth. I also heated water on the stove and filled a 64oz bottle and put in there. They are huddled around it and are mostly quiet, but I am still worried sick. Will they be ok? Is there anything else I can do?:(

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You've done well thus far -- the fact that they are quiet is a good thing, distressed (ie cold) chicks cheep loudly. Is your stove gas so that you will be able to heat more water if the power is not restored for a while?

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I think you have done the right thing - just warm the water every 2-3 hours. If they are quiet then it suggests they are ok

Ct

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    That's what I would have done. Just keep switching out the hot water.

Alternatively, if you can get to a store, those chemical hand warmers stay warm for 8-12 hours. I have an emergency stash in my van that I can raid if necessary.

5. Greenthumb83

Mar 11, 2016
    Thank you for your responses. Still good so far. My stove is gas, but has electric ignite. I tried to light the pilot, but it must not allow the gas to come on with power out, because it never kicked on. I ran the burners for a little while. I will just keep playing it by ear I guess. :/ If it lasts much longer, I will get some hand warmers also. I used our last one when I picked the chicks up lol.

6. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Do you have a gas grill? You could heat water there.

1 person likes this.
  7. WyoJax

WyoJax Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Wyoming
    I had a Coccidiosis chick that I had to separate out yesterday to see if my other girls were indeed infected as well. We use a rice pack as a heating pad and it holds warmth max one hour. It would be a pain to wake up every hour to warm it by I know for a fact it works. You could throw one together in minutes as long as you have rice, fabric and a needle and thread.

8. knightgang

knightgang Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    Southeast, GA
    Rice packs, forget needle and thread, use some old long tube socks, fill with rice, tie a knot in the end.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

9. WyoJax

WyoJax Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Wyoming
    Great idea! We are all ankle sock wearers.

10. Greenthumb83

Mar 11, 2016
    The power ended up being out for 6 hours. The hot water worked nicely. I only had to reheat twice.:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by