Power went out...

Poultrykeeper12

Songster
Mar 31, 2020
Upstate New York
So I have been incubating eggs for about twelve days, I put 18 eggs in and had 17 developing very well! Until today. For about an hour and a half the power has been out, I was doing homestead activities outside so I had no idea about this. I came back in and saw the temp down to 80-83F Humidity was up to 80, I quickly covered the bator with blankets (And quilts) Until it came back on... Just now. My big concern is should I throw them or keep them. Considering they were down 20 degrees for an hour. I'll keep it on until I get some professional help from you guys. Thank You!

PoultryKeeper

Keep them. I had a similar situation and it was all ok. I candled 2 days after the outage and culled the deaths. Putting blankets over the incubator was a mistake. It deprived the eggs of oxygen. that's the only issue I can think of. Other than that they should be ok. My eggs got down to 50 and most still survived.

Keep them. I had a similar situation and it was all ok. I candled 2 days after the outage and culled the deaths. Putting blankets over the incubator was a mistake. It deprived the eggs of oxygen. that's the only issue I can think of. Other than that they should be ok. My eggs got down to 50 and most still survived.
The blankets were over them just for about 10 minutes, Thank you for your reply, it makes me feel a lot better.

Then it shouldn't be an issue. I'd expect you will only lose maybe one or two. Most likely none at all! Let me know after you candle if they are all ok! When they are that far along the embryos can pretty much maintain their own temperature to an extent.

Back
Top Bottom