Power went out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KalikoFarms, Sep 11, 2011.

1. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Last week my power went of and the temp dropped to about 92 I took the bator to my sons and plugged it back in and brought temp back up and then when we got power back I moved them back home. I am in day3 of lockdown, temp 99.5 humidity 65% and nothing is happening. Could moving them have killed them or the temp droping or am I just going to possibly have a late hatch? What are all the possibilities? I have silkies, sizzles, and frizzles in the bator.

Thanks
    Rita

2. nizar

nizar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    how long you lost the power, when did you set you eggs in bator. don't worry.

3. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    It was off about 2 hours and I took them to my sons and repluged them in until we got our power on. My heart has sunk. I really wanted these baby fuzzybutts. I know not like everyone else.
    Thanks
    Rita

4. 1shotcleaner

1shotcleaner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    it will take longer to hatch and you may have lost some but they will hatch. unless the move messed them up. my son unpluged my incubator three nights in a row and the temp was neer 70 when i found it. the chicks all hatched but it took up to 5 days later for them all to hatch.

5. nizar

nizar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    just two hours. how long your chicken are in bator .

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Moving them was probably harder on them than the power being out and the lower temps. I've had power outages of 8+ hours and still had decent hatches......just delayed a bit. How far along they were in the incubation also makes a difference on how the move and lower temps might have impacted them.

7. Edwards' East of Eden

Edwards' East of Eden Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Biloxi, MS
    I'm so glad this thread is here. I'm just terrified.

I have thirteen silkie eggs and a single wyandotte mutt egg in the incubator. The 'dotte mix is due this weekend. The silkie eggs have aircells that are really really big, to my eye, so I decided I could keep them all together and increase the humidity for the 'dotte long enough for lockdown. Silkies are due next weekend.

My only previous hatch, they all hatched on Days 19-21. Yesterday was Day 20 for the 'dotte, and not even a pip yet. So, last night, I candled, right next to the incubator, quickly. It was late, I snatched the egg out and looked and popped it back in. No worries.

Until this morning, when I walked out and looked at the incubator and realized ... I forgot to turn the incubator light back on after I candled. About seven hours, then, without heat, in my 70* house. Humidity was at 70%. The incubator temperature was down to 77*. I just looked blankly at the thermometer for a little bit before I realized what I had done. It was so late - I guess I just vagued out on it.

Temperature is back up now, and that 'dotte egg is still moving a little. After the other incubator spiking to 107 a couple of times and me moving everyone into this one, then my stupidity last night - anything that hatches for me is going to be a strong baby, I guess. I just feel so bad, so - idiotic. Just stupid.

But, for this thread - I will hold out hope. I haven't looked at any of the silkie eggs for movement yet. I'm kind of afraid to. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by