Pox, heat, non-laying lassies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cindilou, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Cindilou

Cindilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    A few months ago both my neighbor's three chickens and my 13 came down with a case of fowl pox (or chicken chicken pox as the little one calls it.) I had 7 that were laying age at the time and the others were still in growing mode. Luckily, it seems we ended up with the dry variety of the pox. The girls went through some time with the lesions and healed up. The 4 younger chickens have started laying very well in the past month or so while my older two black minorcas have completely dried up and crossed their legs, as well, the black star I have has never given me an egg and she is 10 months or so now. I also have a silkie that hasn't laid since the pox came around but she is also a serious bird brain. I'm wondering if these birds just came down with the pox so badly that they are still recovering and coupled with high heat from this summer they just aren't going to get back into the box for a while. Older chickens are about 10 months and younger chickens are about 6 months old. Could the pox have affected the already laying birds while the ones still developing didn't get affected as badly or was it because they were laying that they were affected or is it none of the above or all of the above? Who knows. The minorcas never seemed to get the red back in the combs while the non laying black star is very red with pristine feathers and looks great. Oh chickens, how you baffle me with your chickenness. I still collected 6 eggs and a no shell egg today out of 11 that are of laying age and that is still a good percentage for August it seems. Just hope my minorcas get back into the swing of things at some point.

2. Cindilou

Cindilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    Has anyone else had the pox go through and affect their ladies recently?
    Just wondering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by