Pox or Scab?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Snozzle, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Help I am scared! My little Bella had 3 black dots on her comb. I looked material up online and it's pointing towards not being fowl pox, but I want someone to look at it that's not a complete poultry noob such as myself. Here are the facts I have: she has been laying an egg nearly every day including yesterday, so there is no decline in production, it's only her and Cicero her roo in with her and he is usually very gentle with her, but we did have a bad storm and she may have jumped and scratched herself on something because of the thunder, no one is acting sick, everyone is eating, breathing and hopping around just fine and squawking my ear off when I come by, I rubbed one of the dots and it came off, it looked like dried blood, with no redness underneath, but the other 2 didn't come off and look a bit dry around the edge now.
    So should I be worried about it possibly being fowl pox in an early stage or is it nothing to worry about.
    [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    She is about the cutest little bird I have seen.

I think it is not pox. The spots don't look like they are anything more than just a few scabs. She banged her head on something.

Good luck.

3. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Whew that makes me feel a lot better, but I will keep an eye on it. I love these guys, they have so much personality and are so tiny even for a bantam, I think that's why I worry so much about them, more them I do about my bigger guys. Thank you very much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by