pppppprrrrrrrrrr-CLICK! why is my little boy making this noise?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aubreynoramarie, Nov 2, 2011.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    So my cute little three month old polish chicks have been sneezing A TON lately and feel like they arent really putting on any weight despite their growing bodies and colder weather. Tonight when i went to do the count before locking up, I noticed that they were both peeping and trilling and sounding scared or distressed. I decided that id let them sleep in the house at least until they got over whatever ' chicken colds' they may have.
    well i am sitting here on my computer and I am listening as my little male, the skinniest of the two, is making a very odd noise. Its like trilling but VERY low. i would liken it to how it sounds when your stomach rumbles. at the end of the trill is a loud CLICK. it almost sounds like a creak or groan your house would make in the dead of night. Its very bizzare. On occasion he will make a weird gurgle noise, almost as if he is throwing up water.
    I wok them up to check on them and the noises stopped. they sneezed a few times and went back to sleep. its been about an hour and theyve sarted making the weird noises again. Is this bad? [​IMG]

2. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    now hes making a noise that almost sounds like a fart except im sure its coming out of his mouth. Is he just... chicken snoring?

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Are they showing any signs of bubbly eyes, runny or watery eyes? Nasal discharge? Enlarged empty, mushy feeling crops?

4. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    oh gosh, i cant believe i forgot all of that jargen, sorry.

besides the thinness they seem alright. no discharge from the eyes. I may have noticed slight nasal discharge yesterday but as of now their is none. Their crops are full to the brim (which is odd since theyve been inside without food for four hours).

I noticed that my little boy lays down a lot too. I am not sure if this is because he is so thin that he sunbathes a lot or if its for another reason. All i know is that ive had to keep chickens in the house before and they are dead silent. This guy is making tons of noise.

5. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Have you started them on any Tylan or another antibiotic yet? Maybe, some ACV in their water.

6. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I have not. They mostly act aware and happy. They are constantly underfoot when I am around. i just notice the laying down thing when i look out the window during the day.

I have terramycin and tetracyclene. I was also thiking about giving them some poly-vi-sol and possibly trying a de-wormer.
    i do not have tylan, what does that do/what is it?

7. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I wouldn't start any antibiotics unless you feel they really need them. Tylan50 will work for MG/CRD symptoms which can include, nasal discharge, runny, watery or bubbly eyes, sneezing, etc.

I wish I knew what wrong but I have no clue why one would make that sound.

8. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    well thanks. Ill pop into the feed store and get some in the morning. Seems to be the ONE thing i dont have in my chicken pharmacy, lol.

9. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    What happened to the chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by