practically FREE coop

WildBurroShirts.com

Songster
11 Years
Dec 4, 2008
Carson City, NV
Hi,

I love this forum!

I'm not even really a newbie yet: my chicks don't get here until the 19th (Americaunas, 15 from Ideal).

But I've been wracking my brain for cheap coop ideas and just found one behind Costco.

They have these wooden pallet/boxes that are huge...they've got Christmas wreaths in them in the store. And some Costcos keep produce in them as well. I asked and they said free, take 'em.

I think I'm gonna take eight (or maybe 12) of them, stacking them two high (upside down so the strong base would become the roof and also the floor) and putting netting around them and solid wooden ends and sheet metal roof, then attaching the whole thing to the back of the shed. I can even cannibalize one or two for the wood to enclose the ends. And make roosts/boxes/ladders, etc.

12 would be idea because then the coop would be 12x12 feet.

Just thought I'd share. It's HEAVY wood...probably 80lbs a box. And I also think I'm going to start keeping firewood in those kinda boxes: easier to tarp.

I'm thinking of taking a sawzall to the shed and making nesting boxes that poof out into the shed, so for sure they'd be water/windproof and not disturb the birds by yanking the eggs. And I could plug water and a heat lamp in if necessary.

PS- A BLM burro/donkey is legally called a 'wild ass'. I've got 3 rescues, all from the Blue Mountain range of NV, hence the name. I'm in two parades tomorrow with the WildAssWomen of NV, who try and educate the public at parades that you can have one for yourself since the BLM is adopting them out daily."

Made my run out of pallets from Sear's ..........worked great.

Good Luck,

Mary

12476_dscf0314.jpg

I got a freebie also, for my banty coop:
Sept08mybirds032-1.jpg

They have an oil sealed electric heater and 25 watt light bulb and I fit inside w/them:) My window framing wasn't exactly perfect but the birds enjoy the double pane view...

Last edited:
mtnhomechick-- wow! I've got an extra hammer if you wanna come over. And hot chocolate...did I mention the hot chocolate???

snowydiamonds--that's my favorite color green! I'd love to have something that color as it's all sand and sagebrush here.

everybody: I can't seem to make a burro photo upload for an avatar...must be blonder than normal today.

Gotta run as I have to hitch up the trailer for the parades tomorrow.

But I'm gonna lurk tonight: this forum is fantastic. I can't believe how creative some of you people are with your coops and runs...I am so impressed.

Mine is going to have to be free or darn near, unless the money fairy comes and whacks me with her wand this week...

Kat

Quote:
This pic reminds me of an OLD ice fishing shanty that my deceased uncle had. My aunt is still alive but is 96 yr. old and it's in her basement ( like for years now ). What a good little coop it would make. Too bad I don't need it and she's 600 miles away.

Just thought I'd throw it out there though. Gems like that can still be found.

Mary

WildBurroShirts.com :

mtnhomechick-- wow! I've got an extra hammer if you wanna come over. And hot chocolate...did I mention the hot chocolate???

snowydiamonds--that's my favorite color green! I'd love to have something that color as it's all sand and sagebrush here.

everybody: I can't seem to make a burro photo upload for an avatar...must be blonder than normal today.

Gotta run as I have to hitch up the trailer for the parades tomorrow.

But I'm gonna lurk tonight: this forum is fantastic. I can't believe how creative some of you people are with your coops and runs...I am so impressed.

Mine is going to have to be free or darn near, unless the money fairy comes and whacks me with her wand this week...

Kat

I LOVE hot chocolate.......where do ya live?​

Back
Top Bottom