Practice Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JiDan, Jul 30, 2014.

1. JiDan

JiDan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    I asked my neighbor why my chickens lay small eggs and she told me, "Oh, they are just practice eggs." I have never raised chickens before, so I was unprepared when I saw these little eggs. I had been checking the nesting box every day hoping to find the first egg and when I did, I almost missed it because I was unprepared to see something that small (about half the size of a normal egg). I was delighted and took it in and cooked it. When I tasted it, it tasted... rich. It was so strong in flavor.

My question is this: as the eggs get bigger, will the richness of the egg temper off a bit?

Thanks a lot BYC friends.
    Jidan

2. jonsccm

jonsccm Chillin' With My Peeps

Lol! They will get bigger, I find that the eggs will always have the same richness as long as the diet is is the same. Nothing like a fresh home grown egg

3. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Yes, very common. Some girls will lay large ones from the start, but most start small and ramp up to full size.

Unless the yolk/white ratio was way off on that first one, I would expect your eggs to stay tasty like that!

4. JiDan

JiDan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    It seems like they are mostly yoke and little white. I hope that it is not a mental problem with my taste buds.

5. jonsccm

jonsccm Chillin' With My Peeps

If you ever feel like the tast is not as good as the first then go get some store bought eggs and compare. It will remind you! ;-)

6. JiDan

JiDan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Yikes,
    They all jumped over the fence of my garden and had a pirrana feeding frenzy on my lettuce. There is nothing left but the nubs. One human cannot stand up to 16 hens who want lettuce. I'm sure I looked like a keystone cop chasing chickens all over the place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by