Practice Nest!

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
This morning Teriyaki didn't come out of the coop when I went into the pen even though they normally all pop out to see if I've brought them anything good. I opened the nest box carefully but found only empty space and Chipotle's egg. Then I realized that Teriyaki was sitting next to the window:

0120210858a.jpg

I puttered around the pen a bit taking pictures of the other girls but she stayed put so I went back to the house. Just as I put my hand on the door I heard "BAWK! BAWK! BAWK! BAWK!" and when I turned around I saw that Teriyaki was out in the pen.

Full of hope, I went back around the pen and opened the access door.

0120210904.jpg

Empty. She was just practicing.

I moved the flake of straw to cover the area on the theory that it might encourage her to try the actual nest boxes.

0120210904a.jpg

She, and her breed-sister Cordon, came in to find out what I was doing.

0120210904d.jpg

She does not approve of my alterations.

0120210905.jpg

I would be very surprised to not get Teriyaki's first egg very soon.

And here we go -- she made a new nest in the coop so I'm going to have to figure out how to get her into the nest box.

0120211330.jpg

I admit that I'm not 100% sure that this is Teriyaki's egg because when I found it Popcorn, the SLW, was sitting beside it. But she can't have just laid it because it was cold.

Maybe I'll have 2 first eggs today.

Whoever laid it, it's a nice first effort at 50g. Also a pretty color -- tan that's *almost* pink.

So far no two eggs alike:

0120211330a.jpg

Lovely eggs! Pullets do like to try all kinds of nests before settling down to their favorite box.

Back
Top Bottom