Prairie Bluebell Egger First Egg!

NinaO

Chirping
Oct 9, 2019
Cambridge NY
Just wanted to share that two of my Prairie Bluebell Eggers "Dottie" and "Sparkles" have started laying! Sparkles laid first egg last Thursday at 5 months and 1 week old! Dottie laid hers the next day. We live in upstate NY with cold winters so were were not sure when eggs would come. We are so thrilled, they are the prettiest pale blue color. Attached is a pic of Dottie and our first egg.
IMG_4658.jpeg
IMG_4633.jpeg
IMG_4636.jpeg

We must have ordered chicks around the same time because my PB girls just started laying, too! But my splash (also named Dottie! LOL!) I have not been able to catch in a nest box yet!

Attachments

• 5302B94B-F307-424B-87E4-345EDCB4617B.jpeg
    5302B94B-F307-424B-87E4-345EDCB4617B.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 50
Two of my hens laid turquoise eggs with a slight greenish hue to them on the same day. I was SO disappointed. Their second eggs were turquoise teal and looked prettier so I cheered up. Third eggs were bluer and the aim greenish cast was fading. Fourth eggs even more blue. Now they lay the most vividly colored blue eggs! If at first you get an egg with a slight greenish tint, don’t despair - wait to see if the eggs go vibrant blue within 2 weeks like mine did!

My darker colored girls - one solid black, one partridge brown - laid the turquoise green that lightened to vibrant blue. My almost white splash lays brilliant powder blue eggs that are so vivid they almost hurt your eyes in sunlight!

These were the first two eggs, one from each hen, that were turquoise with a green hue to them. Had it been a hatchery EE laying these, I would have been delighted with the shade but when you’re expecting blue eggs, anything greenish is a bummer! I truly was shocked when I was watching these hens lay eggs that were progressively less and less green and more blue. I have no idea what causes a greenish cast and I almost would not believe that the green tint could go away like it did.

Attachments

• 7DE9B034-BE7B-4A1D-B4B8-7211A47213CE.jpeg
    7DE9B034-BE7B-4A1D-B4B8-7211A47213CE.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 54
We must have ordered chicks around the same time because my PB girls just started laying, too! But my splash (also named Dottie! LOL!) I have not been able to catch in a nest box yet!
Our "dottie" has had 2 double yolkers already! Crazy! She is our top bird for sure too! She pecks my husbands hands we he goes into the coop, but she leaves me alone. HAHA.

Back
Top Bottom