Prairie chickens

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by copper2, May 21, 2016.

1. copper2

copper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2015
    Eating a burger
    I was wondering if the prairie chickens from prairie ridge aviary are pure, and if anyone knows how to raise them

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I would hope that no one would even consider crossing any species of grouse or prairie chicken!
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. Kevin hendricks

Kevin hendricks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2014
    Yes they are

4. copper2

May 5, 2015
    Eating a burger
    I wasn't thinking of crossing them

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  5. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Now why would they cross them?There are even less grouse then pheasants,never mind prairie chickens.I guess PETA is gonna win this battle.
    In N.H.,Tony.

6. Kevin hendricks

Kevin hendricks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2014
    There not crossed,they are pure

7. copper2

May 5, 2015
    Eating a burger
    I thought they were pure, but just wanted to make sure

8. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    I found them to be a challenge to raise. They look for their food at their eye level, don't instinctively peck at food/crumbles in a dish. I found that live mealworms, 1/2 inch in size, the only way to get them to eat. Later on, i coated the mealworms with crumbles to get them eating crumbles. Takes several weeks of doing this, multiple times a day. Also, don't instinctively know how to drink from a waterer. Putting screen wire in the enclosure and misting the screen multiple times a day, (forms water dropplets)was the way i got them to drink, eventually they learned to drink from a waterer. If you try to raise them, be prepared to spend enormous amount of time caring for them until there on their own. Good Luck

9. Midnightman14

Midnightman14 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    Honest question but are there even any possible species that prairies could hybridize with that wouldn't produce sterile offspring if any? I suppose the greater and lesser could cross but beyond that would anything even have a chance of producing a fertile hybrid?

10. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    There probable is but why? Yes, the Greater and Lesser did interbreed in the past when their territories overlapped but their habitat has dewindled and it's a rarity today. The Attwater Conservation Society has been back breeding with the Lesser to increase/save the Attwater from extinction. I have no 1st hand knowledge, if they will hybridize! I only breed mine to their own kind of non related birds. Prairie chickens are rare enough, without trying to create a non-fertile oddity. So, to answer your question, there are always exceptions in nature, so it's probably possible but without a substainable population, it goes no further. Alot of time and effort put forth, for nothing gained. Probably have better odds of winning the lottery than creating a hybrid. Just my 2c.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by