prairie dogs as pets

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by dakotasnake, Feb 1, 2009.

1. dakotasnake

dakotasnake Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    im thinken on raisen pd's for sale as pets, has anyone got any advise ,knowledge or comment on that subject. i know very little about them other than i use to shot them in western s dak. i do have the room and the emty buildings i could use. thank you

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I know they can carry the plague. They are considered a pest/vermin in certain states. You should start by checking your local laws.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I saw on a TV show once that they were big as pets in Japan. Around here tho they're just pests.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm pretty sure they can no longer be sold in the US because they can carry Monkey Pox. It would best to research that first.

5. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

6. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    I saw them for sale a few years ago in Bismark ND..cute,but I wouldnt want them or to raise them,if they got loose they would raise hell with the crop fields around here..and I would be responsible for it..

7. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Check with animal laws. Often you need permits to have wild animals as pets.
    Not only that, they can be aggressive to- like any territorial animal they can bite, be road kill, owls, hawks and certainly need frequent flea control- if you think dogs or cats are bad! Also, wouldn't you need a very large pile of dirt to keep these guys in. At the Maine wildlife Center, they have wood chucks in a cement based and floored dirt pile to prevent escape.

8. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I wanted one when I was a kid. I was about 12 when I went to Prairie Dog Town in Oakley Kansas, and I fell in love with them.

9. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    And to think I wasted all that ammo when younger shooting them when I could have been selling them. [​IMG]

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote:LOL!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by