1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Praise for my girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emmak, Feb 11, 2011.

1. emmak

emmak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    North Central Texas
    My two young pullets (RIR and NHR) had not started laying. It was the darkest, shortest days. Then the terrible weather came our way (we're in the Dallas area), so I made sure to put a light in to keep them from frostbite at least. WELL . . . my girls started laying! I'm currently getting an average of two eggs a day. I also have an OEG bantam who has always been a good layer, and she's doing her share, too. I didn't put the light in to stimulate laying, but WOW, what a difference. I'm finally at the point where I may need to give some of my eggs away, and remember, I only have three hens.

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Wow, that's awesome. My girls are 16 weeks old so we're just approaching "the zone" where they will start thinking of laying. And I noticed that two of the nest boxes had been explored today and the shavings were tamped down. I can't wait!!!

3. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    i have found that every one of my chickens once they start are great layers for a good few months until they settle in to a 5 egg a week routine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by