Prayer Req - Daughters Horse - Update Severe Infection Jugular Vein

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by pips&peeps, Nov 8, 2008.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Had to take one of my horses down to WSU at 8:00 pm last night after we found her in the paddock laying flat out on her side in the rain.

They told me her large colon has flipped over to the other side of her body where it does not belong and they may have to do surgery at the tune of $3000-$5000. [​IMG]

This is a three year old filly that has not been started and I promised my daughter I would get her trained for her for next year's riding season so she could show and ride her with me at the shows.

So, now we are waiting for the vet to call us with any info.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to here that.

3. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i am very sorry you have to go through this. my mom's horse had a twisted belly two years ago. he was almost thirty, so surgery wasn't an option. hopefully you will be able to have the surgery???? it is a lot of money, if you can swing it, i am sure that filly will be a wonderful horse. she could have it for the next thirty years.. i will pray for your family and you beautiful horse and hope everything works out.

4. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    You got 'em. Being young and for your daughter makes saving her more worth the efforts. Prayers for all of you....

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG] and prayers

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Got off the phone a little while ago with the vet. Brandy is doing well this morning, her colon is now back in the correct position, but she does have an impaction.

The vet said it is not a hard impaction, so they believe that it will move out today sometime. She said that there is alot of tiny rocks in her, so basically a sand colic type deal now.

I have the sand clear out to start the other three on a one week dose to make sure it does not happen again. We are going to put the feeder on a stall mat to try to prevent anything the drops on the ground from getting sand or rocks on it.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

7. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    great, good to hear. keep us updated.

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    pips&peeps :

Got off the phone a little while ago with the vet. Brandy is doing well this morning, her colon is now back in the correct position, but she does have an impaction.

The vet said it is not a hard impaction, so they believe that it will move out today sometime. She said that there is alot of tiny rocks in her, so basically a sand colic type deal now.

I have the sand clear out to start the other three on a one week dose to make sure it does not happen again. We are going to put the feeder on a stall mat to try to prevent anything the drops on the ground from getting sand or rocks on it.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

i will be praying as well! Lord, touch that horse right now!

make sure she doesn't eat grain off the ground later on. it really affects this.
    God bless your little filly.​

9. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Whew! Hope things get moving soon...

When my horses were boarded at a barn that had limited turn out, they often were turned out in a riding arena. I had to keep them on psyllium monthly - one week out of every month. Saved me the stress and cost of a colic, though.

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm so glad to hear she's more or less back in working order without surgery -- I have to say that the colic surgeries on horses I've known have seldom worked out well in the long term (like more than six months or so). THinkin' good thoughts for her impaction to clear,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by