Prayer request, great-grandpa is in the hospital-Update

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by eenie114, Jan 9, 2011.

1. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

So I found out last Wendsday my great grandpa (well, if we want to be technical, he's my ex-step-great grandpa, but that doesn't make a difference to me) is in the hospital, and is not expected to live.
    I found out last Wendsday night at prayer meeting when my mom prayed for him. [​IMG] I hadn't heard yet, so I kinda made an idiot of myself by bursting into tears in the middle of the meeting. But I did manage to hold it together 'til the end of the prayer.
    I'm not sure how old he is, but he's definitly not middle-aged anymore. He has Altzheimers, and doesn't remember who I am. That's the hardest part for me, knowing that the man who has been like a grandpa to me (my grandpa on my dad's side passed away when I was about five, and I've only met my mom's dad once in my life) doesn't even recognize me. I haven't seen him like five years, but he was looking at a photo album with my grandma, and came to a picture of me and my half sister on Santa's knee. He said something along the lines of "Now there's Beckah.... who's that little girl?"
    My grandma told him "That's Evelyn," and he just said "Evelyn.... Evelyn...." with this look on his face that said "Who the heck is she?" [​IMG]

He's been going downhill for quite some time now, I probably should have seen it coming. If he does pass away, I doubt I'll be able to attend the funeral, what with the price of airline tickets. I do fly out there every three months to see my dad, but he's extremly territorial about me and his time with me. Like I said, these are ex-steps we're talking about, and he seems to think that since they're outta his life, they should be outta mine. [​IMG] And if the funeral happens to not be when I'm out there, well, that's that.
    Sorry to get so long winded, I just needed to talk. For those of you who pray, please pray for me and my family.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Prayers for you and your great grandpa.Whether you are there or not he will know your love for him.

Divorces do not change feelings,but many try to do exactly that-expecting you to cut contact because they have decided to do so.Hugs.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I will pray for all involved.

4. eenie114

Quote:What makes it worse it that I feel like I need to be there, and not even for my own emotional reasons. My ex-stepmom, her husband, my half sister, and her brother are all in Japan, so the chances of them making it are even slimmer. My great grandma is really taking it hard, I hear. Can't say I blame her.

5. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i took care of my mother in law the last 8 months of her life.. she had alzheimer.. when the time came i was so thankful that she passed.. she was so lost and scared all the time. she was to the point she couldn't swallow so she was starving.. so don't be sad but be happy that he will finally be free from this horrible disease..her last few days she kept talking to the ceiling in my family room. when i would ask who she was talking to, she told me a man.. i thought her husband since he had passed away a few yrs earlier.. she kept looking at the ceiling and then would hit herself in the head saying " I don't understand" " i don't understand what you want me to do?"
    finally the 3rd day i said who was this man? and she yelled at me and said "jesus" can't you see him??? and the next morning she had passed... i was floored that he was the man.. he must have been telling her to come to him but being so disorientated she was having a hard time with it.. i always had my doubts about there being a real jesus but i don't anymore..

6. eenie114

He passed away a few days ago. [​IMG] Thanks for all your prayers, they mean a lot to me.
    Chances of going to the funeral are still one in a million. [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Retain and relive memories of the good times you spent with him. That is the gift he leaves you.[​IMG]

8. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I am sure it doesn't matter one whit to him if you are at the funeral or not. He loved you, and that spark of soul that he had, even if it was buried under the filth of alzheimers, knew the depth of your love. I am so sorry for your loss, and hope that you can find peace, and maybe find your own way to say goodbye.

9. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by